Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Hacked? Skype messages at shut down

I think Skype (or a Skype user) has hacked my PC. It has slowed down to impossible slowness, and shows a nearly unbroken 100% usage under Task Mgr. When I shut it down, I see a message box "End Program - SKYPE CALLBA...". I never installed Skype; my adult son swears he did not do so (and I believe him). I have to set my ZA firewall to "Stop all Internet Activity" to use my programs. Open the firewall to check my email, then lock it again. This has worked for the last few days or so - but why the closing message box?? Oh, yes - in the registry, I found 2 lines for 'BRSkype Plugin.DLL'. I didn't touch them, because I don't remember the filename of the registry; and don't remember how to disable a line without deleting it. (Old retired programmer / network person here....) Skype is not listed in the REMOVE PRGM portion of the Control Panel. How do I get rid of this unwanted invader? Is my PC a zombie for some hacker out there???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hacked? Skype messages at shut down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hacked? Skype messages at shut down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BRSkype Plugin.DLL

In reply to: Hacked? Skype messages at shut down

I can't find any useful information about this in Google, so it is difficult to track this down.

I would start scanning. I assume this is a Windows PC, but am not sure what version of Windows you are using. However I would download and install the two free anti-malware utilities listed below;

Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Then one at a time, open each utility and update it's definitions, then run a full scan with each.

These free versions are 'manual' scanners. Your own Anti-Virus scanner still runs in the background, but these two utilities can just be used to carry out double check scans once a week or so. SUPERAntiSpyware may set itself to run at Startup, but you can change that in it's Preferences.

See how you get on with those.

Mark

Collapse -
Skype hacked?

In reply to: BRSkype Plugin.DLL

Thanks for the recommendations: I dnlded both prgms, and ran them. Each found dozens of questionable stuff and removed them. The second one run: same story. Odd that the second one to run still found so much stuff to remove...
But I still have 2 BRSkype... lines in the registry.
Basically, your advice was very helpful; but was not able to address the Skype issue. But thank you anyway.
Anyone else out there who knows how I got 'Skyped'?

BTW - my apologies for skipping my setup data: WinXT w/SP3, Firefox, AOL, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, ZoneAlarm, McAfee - all current.

Collapse -
OK, next steps to try

In reply to: Skype hacked?

In a way those scans have done good because they confirm that this Skype component is unlikely to be malware.

You say it appears as a process in the Task Manager, so something is obviously calling it up, and that could be in one of two areas.

Firstly, I would check your Services Console. Goto Start > Run, type in services.msc and click OK. This opens the Services Console and you can scroll down the list in the right hand pane and look for anything to do with BRSkype or just Skype. You can 'drag' the column headers to the right to see more, and double clicking any entry will open a dialog box that gives more information on each service.

If you find anything, see what it says in the dialog box. From there you can Stop the service, and if it is set to start automatically you can change that to disabled, or manual.

If there is nothing there, then head over to the MSCONFIG, System Configuration Utility. Again, Start > Run, type in msconfig and click OK. In the new window, goto the Startup tab and look down the list for BRSkype or Skype. If you find anything and it is ticked, remove the tick, then click Apply then OK. The change will take effect the next time you boot up the computer.

Tell us what you find.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.