Samsung forum

General discussion

Hacked Blu-Ray Netflix?

by Bizarro23 / July 3, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

Hi, I own a Samsung BD-2500 and I just got a message saying:

"your BD player's Netflix keys have been hacked.You can not watch a Netflix movie through your BD player.
Your player's ESN is ___32 digit alpha-numeric code_____.
What do I need to do to fix this, if I can? Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hacked Blu-Ray Netflix?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hacked Blu-Ray Netflix?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hacked Blu-Ray Netflix?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 3, 2009 3:47 AM PDT

Bizarro23,

Sorry to hear you got the error.

Netflix Error Messages:

If you receive any of the following error messages, follow the steps below to resolve this issue.

Error: Your Netflix Keys Have Been Hacked
Error: Your ESN Has Been Hacked
Error: DRM Is Corrupt

This does not pose a threat to your player or network security and will be corrected with the next firmware upgrade

Unplug the player's power cord from the wall.
Hold down the player's power button for 10 Seconds
Plug the power cord back in.

In most cases, the steps above will resolve the issue, however you may need to reset the player. Resetting the player will revert all settings back to factory default which means you will have to reconfigure your network settings.

Turn the player on and with no disc in the player, press and hold the FF button on the front panel until the player turns off.
Follow the instructions for language selection.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re: Hacked Blu-Ray
by Bizarro23 / July 3, 2009 3:57 AM PDT

Thank you very much. That did the trick. So how would this happen? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks

Collapse -
re: Hacked Blu-Ray
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 3, 2009 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: re: Hacked Blu-Ray

Bizarro23,

Hey, that's great news.

Honestly, I don't know how it happened. It may have been a glitch between the player and Netflix's account verification, but I don't suspect it should happen again.

Keep me posted if it does.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Known firmware problem!
by mahubs / November 14, 2009 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: re: Hacked Blu-Ray

First in July we had this problem with the hacked Netflix keys message, but were able to get it resolved with the help of Samsung tech support. Now it's happened again!!! and after hours on the phone and all the way to Tier 2 support they say there IS a known firmware problem and it will be fixed "with the next update." Obviously the problem arose with the July update. But now it's November and they haven't decided we're important enough to fix it! They gave us two options: fix it today (which failed, with their help), or send it in to be fixed at our cost.

We are unable to generate a source code. We can watch DVDs but canNOT get instant Netflix movies. What does Samsung expect? A known problem isn't important to them? this means that I, the customer, am not important to Samsung. I have a large Samsung monitor. A LARGE Samsung HD flat-panel TV. And this Blue Ray player. NEVER AGAIN! Heads up, Samsung. Customers DO COUNT, even if you'd like to pretend we don't!

Collapse -
Update on Firmware Update Schedule
by mahubs / November 14, 2009 11:44 PM PST

A support person told my husband later that it would be another couple of months before the next update would be issued. I tried to get the original firmware version online, as the Tier 2 person suggested, so I could replace the July update with that, but it's not available.

Collapse -
One additional step required
by shochatd / June 5, 2010 11:40 AM PDT

I tried the above sequence (which is exactly what the Samsung tech support lady said to do) over and over but holding down the FF button had no effect. Finally I remembered a previous occasion when I had this same problem (it seems to happen after a Blu-Ray disk fails with the "This disk cannot be played" error). That time, I was told to UNPLUG THE ETHERNET CABLE! Once I did that, simply holding down the FF button worked immediately! This time I wrote it all down, since I'm sure it will happen again the next time I get the equally-dreaded "This disk cannot be played." This bug is in dire need of fixing, but when I check for new firmware, it always says I have the latest.

Collapse -
Samsung is dishonest and Netflix is useless
by POedinVT / December 5, 2010 5:17 AM PST

I have had this problem over and over and Samsung says they don't know about it. Obviously they do. Netflix also plays dumb. Resetting the player only works temporarily.

Anyone with this problem needs to file a complaint against Samsung and Netflix here: https://www.FTCComplaintAssistant.gov/. They are acting fraudulently by telling customers to buy Samsung players to watch Netflix, when those players do not work correctly. Also a violation of an implied warranty (that it works as it is supposed to).

If your player is under warranty, return it now.

If they don't respond to this problem soon, I think only a lawsuit by all affected will get their attention. Apparently the 2 companies have not learned how to work together and their customers are suffering for it.

Collapse -
Hacked Blu-Ray Netflix fix
by synthpulse / August 2, 2009 1:32 PM PDT

Mine just did it too. I Googled the error message and found this post. The "press and hold FF button" worked. "Unplug and hold power button" did not, even after multiple tries. Thanks for the fix.

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by IHiraldo / August 9, 2009 11:24 AM PDT

I have been having the same problem with my BD2500. I tried both the unplug and fast forward reset method, and it will work for a bit and then either tell me the keys were hacked or there is a DRM problem. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 9, 2009 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Similar Problem
Collapse -
Similar Problem Cont.
by IHiraldo / August 11, 2009 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar Problem

I've tried all the methods listed here, and it might work for a day or so, then I have the same problem and have to try all the methods again. Is there any permanent solution to this?

Collapse -
Similar Problem Cont.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 13, 2009 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar Problem Cont.

IHiraldo,

If resetting the unit or re-activating the unit through Netflix doesn't work, it may be either an issue with your network, or a problem with the player. If it's the player, you may want to send it in and have it repaired. Usually that fixes the issue.

Here's our help support link that lists what to do:

http://tinyurl.com/p24skk

--HDTech

Collapse -
Possible alternative fix
by surfer1954 / November 22, 2009 1:38 AM PST

Power BD-P2500 off
Power back on and wait till unit is in no-disk mode
Hold fast forward (3PM) position for 8 seconds
Worked for me...was finally able to access my Netflix account

Collapse -
Firmware vs hardware
by mahubs / November 22, 2009 7:23 AM PST

I am simply unable to understand why a firmware problem would cause a hardware problem that could be fixed by sending in the unit. The support staff could not explain it either. Can you tell me why firmware would corrupt the hardware? Will the next firmware update/fix not fix this problem? Is it really necessary to spend over $100 to have the unit fixed?? What sort of hardware problem would have occurred??

My mind just can't get around this whole concept.....

Collapse -
Samsung Tech Support is ridiculous
by wolfneuralnet_dotmac / December 6, 2009 10:56 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware vs hardware

So -- after having this problem, just got off the phone w/tech support. Person had no idea what they were talking about. I asked them whether running the firmware update again would fix this issue. They said since I had the latest firmware installed, it wouldn't.

They told me to send the machine in, but that I would have to pay either $85 or $185 to get it repaired since it was purchased over three months ago, but less than a year, blah blah blah...

Discs won't play. Netflix works fine after the FF button reset.

ESN: WRONG is still there under System Info.

If this is happening to you, download the firmware and update via CD again -- it will reinstall the firmware and correct this issue.

SAMSUNG needs to train its techs better, and stop trying to get people to pay money for a repair that takes 10 minutes at home. As the title says, ridiculous. Why even have tech support if they are this clueless???

Collapse -
BD-P2550 Hacked
by JDavidins / January 30, 2010 2:24 AM PST

The "Hacked" error message has appeared twice on my machine after being ?fixed? on two previous occasions. Netflix has advised me that there is no permanent fix and that the problem will reoccur on a somewhat frequent basis. In light of this information, I called Best Buy, where I purchased my Samsung 2550 in April of?09. This particular model was made specifically for Best Buy. Best Buy told me that all they could do was send the unit back to Samsung to be fixed/request a return authorization. I advised them that the unit could not be ?fixed? short a software update which is not likely to be provided by Samsung in the foreseeable future. Thus, I asked that they seek a return authorization short of me having to disconnect the unit, which still plays DVD?s and send it off. If they were given a return authorization I would at that time return the unit. Best Buy advised me they could not do that. Thus, I again contacted Samsung in hopes of getting a return authorization.. I was told to call their ?Executive Customer Relationship Department during the week. I will see what happens next, but in light of Samsung?s response to date to this problem, I am not optimistic.
In the meantime I suggest that when companies enter into agreements with other companies in order to enhance their products, each company to that agreement has an obligation to make sure that they are provided a quality product and are in turn providing a quality product that is well supported by each company involved in the manufacturing, marketing and retailing of the final product. When any one company fails to perform as one should reasonably expect, it is incumbent on the other companies involved in the final product to pick up the slack. Failure to do so makes them equally deficient and liable to the consumer. Thus, based on my experience with Samsung, Best Buy and Netflix in regards to this problem, it is my conclusion they are all at least in part responsible for the problem and the failure to provide a timely and permanent fix. Thus, I suggest all of those companies should be boycotted in light of their failure to respond to their customers? needs.

Collapse -
We are all responsible means nobody is responsible
by phillytokyo / May 28, 2010 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: BD-P2550 Hacked

"Thus, I suggest all of those companies should be boycotted in light of their failure to respond to their customers's needs."

Well put.

They all should have one-point of contact. I just called Netflix. Even though the rep was friendly, she did nothing except giving me a Samsung phone number.

What they should do is connecting me to a "Netlfix keys have been hacked" Support Center, that is maintained by all involved companies.

They should know it is why Apple is currently succeeding. SONY/Google or Yahoo/Nokia alliances can succeed only if they maintained such support center together.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.