Question

HACKED

I have an account on facebook, besides networking i use to play poker with it. It is quite obvious that it has been hacked as all my chips disappeared by itself. My account has a Sixteen character password, made up of randomly selected letter and symbols and my email asociated with the account has an equally strong password.
So my question is if my account is hacked does it mean that my pc is compromised too? any suggestion on how to prevent any further attempts to hacked my account would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HACKED
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HACKED
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Maybe

Maybe, it's difficult to tell. Facebook isn't exactly known for its security, but there are also other variables to consider here. You could have malware on your system that has been sniffing passwords, and that's how they got the password there. Or it could just even be a simple, innocuous matter of the poker game data having been reset. I tend to avoid Facebook, so I don't know if they have any particular review process of things before people can access them via their website, but the app itself could have been malicious. Or depending on how the app stores data, maybe the number of chips you had was stored in a cookie file, and you deleted all your cookies.

There's a large range of possibilities to explain what happened that run anywhere from very simple and innocuous to intentionally malicious, so it seems a bit hasty to jump right to the conclusion that someone hacked your account.

- Collapse -
thanks

Thank you Jimmy for your prompt answer, but its not the first time this has occured. I've had some similar experiences earlier, and i don't have the habit of deleting the cookie files. About the malware, I formatted all my hdd, just a day before this happened and not much software has been installed other then the ones i really really need.
And can it mean that since my account is hacked my computer security is also compromised too?
thanks.

- Collapse -
Like I said

Like I said, it can, but without knowing EXACTLY what happened it's impossible to say. There's a large number of possibilities for things that could have happened, though the fact that you just formatted your drive actually tends to make the malware idea more plausible if you haven't installed all the requisite updates yet. Still, we would need to know exactly what happened to be able to say for sure whether or not your system's security was similarly compromised. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, we don't know, but the safest course of action in a case like this is to assume that it has. You should assume ALL of your accounts have been compromised and act accordingly.

- Collapse -
THANK YOU

thank you everyone for your input.

CNET Forums