Question

H246 video files

Hi, Hope someone can advise, I run a local charity in my area and our CCTV system has been damaged and we can’t access / download and view the video files . I have removed the SATA HD and have used a
AGPtek SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for Hard Drive Disk HDD 2.5" 3.5", Compatible with USB 1.1/2.0/3.0, With External AC Power to access the files on the HD but without success. Any help as to how I can download and access these files would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: H246 video files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: H246 video files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
In your title you write about files.

But later you write you have no files.

-> Many CCTV systems did not use a common file system so you have to access the videos per the maker's instructions. You left out make, model so I can't check that out.

In short, with so many CCTV DVRs the files don't exist in file systems so to gain access you use the recorder and maker's instructions.

If the recorder is damaged you usually replace that part.

- Collapse -
Answer
can't access?

Do you mean the files can be seen but you can't run the video from them? How did you know they were H246 video files? If it's a matter of file endings as seen in windows, since the codec it used also in mp3 and ogg files, try copying a file and changing the file ending.

If you mean the drive partition can't be seen in windows at all, that means it's probably not a FAT nor NTFS type file system. In that case you need to boot a LIVE DVD or a LIVE USB of a Linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu (two very popular easy ones) and then use the "HOME" icon or "Home Folder" icon to open it's file manager and can then see the files on the drive. There are other formats than FAT and NTFS, such as EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, as used in Linux and Unix and a host of others. Linux recognizes most file formats out there.

- Collapse -
"But wait, there's more."

CNET Forums

Forum Info