HolidayBuyer's Guide

HP forum

General discussion

H.P./ Nvidia Settlement

by jddvs18 / October 5, 2010 5:42 PM PDT

I have just been notified of the Nvidia settlement regarding a laptop i have. The golden part of it is that the settlement is supposed to include REPACEMENT of the laptop. The settlement is because of a defective Nvidia Graphics Processor and/or Communications Chip.

I had a DV2100 laptop that had to be sent back to HP once for the wireless system crashing after it was out of warranty. Now the entire system is doing the same thing, not locateing a wireless signal, and when connected to a hard line will not aquire a I.P. address. Other computers companies are also haveing issues, but are only applying repair instead of replacement. From what i can find on the internet......this is because H.P. knew about the issue and tried to cover it up using a "bios" update, which made the systems overwork itself by running the fans faster, longer, and componets got hotter, thus the life of the computer went down.

Look at the website if you have a laptop with Nvidia equipment. Nvidiasettlement.com

Good luck to all,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: H.P./ Nvidia Settlement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: H.P./ Nvidia Settlement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the lawsuit is a blessing
by zahmbee / October 10, 2010 12:33 AM PDT

HP is doing the right thing by requiring nVidia to replace the HP computers. I have 2 such computers that fall under this settlement. It is important for evryone affected to keep an eye on the situation. www.nvidiasettlement.com has a registraion area. be sure to register if this mess affects you. see: https://roscomps3.securesites.net/www.nvidiasettlement.com/emailregistration.php

don't let those guys off the hook.

Collapse -
If it's like the former suits.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2010 2:19 AM PDT

It does not result in fixed machines.

Collapse -
But a blessing thats till not complete
by shesalonewolf / November 12, 2010 11:41 AM PST

I also own one of these very expensive "door stops"~ An HP Pavilion DV9 Entertainment Series Laptop- It is built with the faulty nvidia 7600 graphics chip, and has also failed with the "black screen of death" the others have suffered with. However, my specific model number is NOT one thats is listed or included in this suit! Can anyone advise me as to how I would go about obtaining informationto find out exactly why my machine is NOT included in this action? Yes, I have contacted HP and also nVidia how ever I am not provided with any explanation.

Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2010 4:20 AM PST

In or out of warranty?

Your machine is not in the list of known problem units. It could be just another failed machine. There are many reasons but this model is not among the ones with that awful problem.

Put another way. These machines with GAMING GPUs are usually 2 or 3 year machines. I've warned many about it yet folk seem to get upset when it dies anyway.
Bob

Collapse -
HP notebook AMD
by sailingfish / December 23, 2010 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Just checking.

Yes, mine is a gaming computer, but I never used it as a gaming computer. It does have NVIDIA in it, as I see it included in the computer.

Collapse -
See reply below.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2010 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: HP notebook AMD

There are a lot of iffy areas in this model line. It came back to haunt HP and the owners with a vengence. From the chips, to the building, the Pb free solder and the bendy laptop all conspired for an early failure.

It's a shame CBS didn't cover this and the BAD CAPS disasters.
Bob

Collapse -
Solder melting? Running too hot?
by Neelys18th / March 18, 2011 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: See reply below.

Has anyone ever used one of these "Cool Mats" made by Targus? I have used one with each of my laptops. I don't like the heat the laptop gives off, so I use a Cool Mat. Didn't realize I might be helping my laptop more than me.

Collapse -
DV-6000, HP notebook computer
by sailingfish / December 23, 2010 6:40 AM PST

My computer is listed but not the pin#, so this apparently does not include my computer in the class action suit.

My computer lost the wireless assistant in 2009 and last month the screen went black. Try as it might, it keeps trying to start, until I unplug it to make it stop trying. It is too bad that it had so many problems from the get-go, as it is an awesome unit.

I bought a wireless adapter to keep it linking to the Internet.

I put a lot of demands on this notebook. I used it for work - research and writing; used it for entertainment - music and video streaming. It was awesome.

It had a few recalls that I did not participate in getting: adapter replacement, battery replacement, bios update, and now the NVIDIA chip.

I do have someone, who will attempt to fix my computer for $100. Hm, how long will the fix last is my concern? If it is due to the fact of the parts heating and melting the solder of components on the motherboard, it might happen repeatedly. Well, I do understand that technology advances at such a quickened pace, if it does not die on its own, it will become obsolete, quite rapidly.

So SAD, as I did love my HP notebook computer! Sad

Collapse -
Nothing solid I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2010 6:44 AM PST

I've seen this model work fine, I've seen it die. The repair may or may not work and no one will give you any warranty or guess how long it will hold up.

But I do have advice.

Stop using it as a laptop. Set it on your desk, open it up and leave it open. Don't open and close it. Don't carry it around to eek out the last hours it has.
Bob

Collapse -
Ha-ha, too funny!
by sailingfish / December 23, 2010 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing solid I fear.

It does have a good look, doesn't it?

You are wanting me to 'baby my baby,' huh?

Collapse -
See above
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2010 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: Ha-ha, too funny!

I noted a few reasons why. If it comes back we can help it along by doing the "baby my baby"ing it.
Bob

Collapse -
As I "Baby-My-Baby,"
by sailingfish / December 23, 2010 2:12 PM PST
In reply to: See above

I am willing to shuck out another $50 to get the remainder of my writing files out of it. If I did get to use it again, I would only do some writing and save it to externals. Oh my gosh, it will be so hard not to watch movies on it! I loved the video quality on the widescreen.

Awe, guess I have to move on to the next phase and equip my 2008 Sony Bravia with an Internet link. I missed the Internet television by a smidgen when I bought this unit. It does hook up to computers, as it did with my HP notebook, until the notebook would not communicate with it any longer.

I must say, comparable to any other computer I've used, this was a Cadillac. It will be missed but not forgotten for a long time. I'm sure there will be something else to take its place, which will floor me as it did.

Collapse -
About getting files out and Internet TV
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2010 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: As I "Baby-My-Baby,"

1. I pull the HDD out and put it into some USB HDD enclosure to plug into a working machine. There are hundreds of such things to choose from at geeks.com, newegg.com and amazon.com

2. The Internet TV as I see it is a disaster zone. Maybe it's just where I am but folk expected an experience "just like" what they had on a PC. Nothing comes close.

Bob

Collapse -
HDD, hm? I am familiar with the USB.
by sailingfish / December 24, 2010 4:08 AM PST

Seems how I have no clue as to where this is in the computer, I best let someone do it for me. Still, I hate to put my HP notebook to rest. I had no qualms about retiring an old Tandy my son gave to me. I put the workings of the computer into a jacket as an external. At any point, I can reconfigure the entire system. My youngest daughter has it now and stores her expanding photography interest on it.

Nowadays, it is not too logical to spend $85 on a menial amount of storage when there is far better on the market for the same price. However, my writing files are important to me. I am not sure what I left on the computer, as I did contemplate the fate of the computer. I know I do not have much, but I'm not sure of the sensitivity, as I do research and theorize my findings. I do save my writing three times over to various external drives.

I have a lot of faith in new technology. I feel it will only get better. I'm sure not into any 'blasts from the past.' I'm not one of those, who thinks the muscle cars were the best things ever. I lived back then and rode in those vehicles. I watched as things changed and I got to sample the latest and greatest. I'm satisfied with the new technology and if anything, I wish it would move along at a faster pace and by leaps and bounds. I want to be in awe, but I have not been, as of yet.

Perhaps, when the hologram phones and televisions hit the market, I will be bamboozled? When those self-charging batteries (charging on minerals in the air)become available, I may be in awe? When automobiles leave the ground and use air movement and the minerals in the air to operate, I may be astounded?

At any rate, Internet television is too slow in coming. The hologram is waiting in the wings, already! Sony is on it! I see IBM is making a comeback too, and may be a contender in the next phase of technology.

Collapse -
Not 85 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2010 4:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Internet Television-
by sailingfish / December 24, 2010 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Not 85 bucks.

I have considered the ROKU, because it would get me Netflix (I have an ongoing account) and at a reasonable price. I want MORE, but I fear if I spend more for the more, it may be obsolete next week. I'm sure there will be something better on the market by the time I shell out the dough to get the greatest in todays market.

I want Internet Television, but I would need some device added to my television to attain it. At present, I need a computer, I want the Internet, I want to write, and I want access to Internet television. To get all of this, if I combine it and use my existing Bravia screen, it might cost me at a low-ball figure, $450 - $750. I saw a Gateway processor for $399, but it disappeared? It might have worked? I see Google and Sony combined efforts and came up with a device for $399. Leveno has a tower device for $599, which is a home type system - computer and entertainment. I believe it operates on Windows 7?

Whatever I get, I hope it satisfies me enough to lessen my woes about losing my HP notebook. Sad I sure do not want to spend too much after this fiasco with HP and NVIDIA. What gets me too, is I bought the computer after the problem was noted by NVIDIA. I did not dig looking for dirt on the product, I was unsuspecting - trusting in man.

Collapse -
Do we dare mention dell?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2010 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Television-

Dell has 399 buck laptops all the time. And while it doesn't have my fav i3 or i5 cpu but you do get your usual 4GB 64 bit Windows 7 machine. It may have HDMI for your HDTV to use.
Bob

Collapse -
DV6000 purchased in the summer of 2007
by sailingfish / December 25, 2010 9:35 AM PST

The screen is black. I got quoted a price of $100 to fix - soldering of a part, perhaps the NVIDIA? The deal is if it doesn't get fixed, I'd still have to pay $50. Doesn't sound like a win-win situation for me.

For jeers, I offered up my HP for recycling toward a credit in purchasing something new on Tiger Direct today. My adapter goes with it, so, the two equaled an amount of $12.42. I would think parts alone would value more than that measly amount quoted to me.

I guess it sucks for me all the way around, relating to this HP DV6000.

Collapse -
You can do better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 2:51 AM PST

The HDD in some USB case gives you access to your files and is worth more than 12.42

The power supply and battery can fetch some dollars on Ebay and if the screen is not cracked I see those for 50 all the time.

You can do better.
Bob

Collapse -
Nvidia Settlement approve!
by silverhawknike / December 31, 2010 6:35 AM PST

yeah I have Compaq V6000(V6048cl) with faulty nvidia chip. my reliable laptop have wireless failure and no longer to detect the network adapter Sad I hope that settlement is true and not a scam! (Finger crossed!) And yeah thank god Im getting replacement laptop since my Compaq laptop's battery broke too Silly

Collapse -
Terrible Settlement
by rjdiego / January 10, 2011 8:29 AM PST

The settlement details were released today. My HP tablet laptop with an AMD Turion64X2 processor will be replaced by Nvidia with a Asus EEE T101MT-EU17-BK netbook. What a joke...my $1200 Entertainment laptop gets replaced with a netbook.

Never going to buy an Nvidia product again!

Collapse -
Re: Site 'Claim Forms' temporarily Unavailable
by sailingfish / January 10, 2011 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: Terrible Settlement

I've been watching the site and I've seen nothing except the claim forms were available today, or so I thought. I got all my verification together and by the time I got to opening the form, it has temporarily become unavailable. I will need to continually check on this.

Did you get to file your claim?

Collapse -
Claim Forms now working
by silverhawknike / January 10, 2011 12:52 PM PST

It working fine now and my compaq laptop is Compaq V6048cl will be replace by Compaq Presario CQ50. I check online for the spec of this replacement laptop and it seem to be better than my old laptop.

Collapse -
Trying to file the claim online in the settlement site
by sailingfish / January 10, 2011 2:46 PM PST

How did you fill out the claim form? I tried to fill out the claim form again, but the page on the site is temporarily unavailable, STILL. It is telling me to try again in twenty-four hours. I do see the notation on the page of the descriptive replacement computer. Mine looks to be replaced by the Compaq Presario CQ50.

What is the site where you were successful in filling out and filing this claim form?

I see it states filing the form on the site, but I do see it stating to SIGN the form. I hope there is a VERISIGN available on the site, or perhaps a form to sign when there is a shipping box sent to you?

Collapse -
claim forms
by silverhawknike / January 11, 2011 8:09 AM PST

actually, I havent go far in filing. the second step require me to have a recipit for my laptop. And the bad thing is? I dont have the recipit! Sad

Collapse -
Re: No Receipt - Can you retrace your steps?
by sailingfish / January 12, 2011 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: claim forms

I do have a receipt for mine. I have the old Circuit City receipt. If I dig more, I may be able to find the other receipt, but the last time I looked at it, it was not legible.

At the time of the purchase, there was a rebate on these machines, through HP. I got extra copies of the receipt in order to send in a proof of purchase for the rebate. So, I have a copy of the store receipt. HP has the paperwork, too.

Did you send in a registration for your computer, or fill it out online? Perhaps something else can suffice as a proof of purchase?

I have an idea a lot of people will be in this same predicament with no proof of purchase. A handful will get the benefits, but the ones to get the most benefit will be the lawyers involved, as they quite often do.

Collapse -
Replacement computer: Compaq CQ50
by manefaces / January 11, 2011 11:05 AM PST

The Compaq Presario CQ50 is a model released on 7/13/2008 and received some average ratings on CNET and via user reviews. I have not been able to find a 'newer' or more updated Presario CQ50-115R. I've also come across the CQ50Z-100 and CQ50-130 and both of them are listed as used 2008 models on Ebay.

I wish the administrators could provide a more definite model number; though I purchased my HP in late 2007, my laptop's specs are better than what the 2008 CQ50 seems to offer and I'm torn whether or not to send mine in for replacement, especially if it is a July 2008 model with only average reviews. Where do they find these CQ50's from 08'---sitting in some lost warehouse somewhere?

If someone were to find out if this CQ50 is an updated 2010 model, please give a shout out in this forum! Otherwise, I'm not too sold on the replacement offer. Here's the complete CNET review for the CQ50 from July 2008:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-cq50-115nr/4505-3121_7-33088550.html

Collapse -
complain to the nvidiasettlement
by eeveteran / January 11, 2011 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Terrible Settlement

I am mad at this settlement as well. My over $800 HP tx1000 will be replaced by an Asus netbook. This is not right. They promised a replacement HP notebook computer of similar kind and value as their eligible malfunctioning notebook computer but now they want to use a netbook in exchange. What a shame. I think that they misled us to be a memeber of the class lawsuit but now they do not want to keep their promise.

Please go to the forum below and let gather enough people to file a petition on the settlement.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TX-TM-Series-Notebooks/Settlement-Replacement-Petition/td-p/463669

Please let more people know this forum so that we can unite to fight for us.

Collapse -
I filed, I think?
by sailingfish / January 11, 2011 5:55 AM PST

I might have messed up my filing. In trying to hastily file while the site was available, I tried to take a picture of my 'proof of purchase' and got my picture ready, and then went back to the site. I tried to go to 'next' and everything vanished, like it got sent?

Why can't we file the claim, and then send proof of the purchase along with shipping? Evidently, I do not have a computer to handle the task, since my modern computer is BROKEN.

Well, if I do not get an acknowledgement by e-mail I will refile.

Collapse -
Nvidia settlelment-Asus tablet for the tx1410 ???? What ????
by Screwedagainandagain / January 11, 2011 11:19 AM PST

So here we go, having spent $ 1200 on a piece of Junk TX1410 from HP with NVIDIA chips, and then promised we would get an equivalent replacement , they palm us off with an Asus , Atom, no optical drive, only 1 gb of Ram, only 160gb hard drive !!!!
What a joke !!! They are messing with us at the final bell. This cannot be allowed and we must fight against this treatment . Who on earth has agreed to this as a condition of the settlelment ????

This is not replacement of equivalent value...the Asus is on line at aroung $ 480 !!! and a much lower spec than the TX1410 tablets !!!

I really appreciate the work of the guys who set up the class action, but how under any stetch of the imagination can this Asus be considered an equivalent the the Laptops that we purchased. ???

What can we do, who can we contact to raise our objections? Anybody know? The number given on the action website is only a recorded message.

We have to Fight this!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.