General discussion

H E L P! Cell phone and wireless internet bundle...

I am currently using two seperate Alltel services: A wireless internet connector for my laptop (one bill), and a cell phone plan(second bill). Is there anyway of combining the two seperate services into one? I saw Sprint has a "mobile hotspot" feature on its cell phone service plan, can I connect my wireless laptop to this?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: H E L P! Cell phone and wireless internet bundle...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: H E L P! Cell phone and wireless internet bundle...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Be a BEAN COUNTER.

You didn't reveal your costs for such but 2 services for phone and internet might cost less than a SMART PHONE with tethering with it's DATA PLAN. You are right a SMART PHONE can do this but a regular phone can't.

Be a BEAN COUNTER and ask for the numbers.
Bob

- Collapse -
Begining to do the math

Bob: Thanks! I now pay 110.00 for the 2 services. I can switch to a tethering type service, but- not sure if there is a data uasage limit. Lots to consider! If anyone currently uses a cell hone, and wireless internet combo- I would apprewciate any feedback.

- Collapse -
That helps. Here's the numbers here.

I have the Sprint Evo 4G. The plan with no discount is about 80 a month with the tether, hot spot and 5GB a month cap.

That's a 30 buck a month savings.

The Sprint web site shows my data use so I can manage that easily. If you skip the wifi/tether plan and use EasyTether (sorry but please research that) you can save about 10 bucks a month.

I think the Evo is a nice enough phone but I did get a huge battery (amazon) and a better case for it so that's another 100.

Hope this helps,
Bob

- Collapse -
Sprint really has great bundled deals

If you are in a 4G area (which is growing rapidly), you can used the hotspot on 4G which is unlimited usage. You can also use the phone at the same time. If you use it on just 3G you can't use the phone while making it a hotspot.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I didn't find that to be true. I don't need to be in the 4G areas to use the hotspot.

But I'll try to figure out why you wrote that. I can report that with easythether I can make and receive calls just fine.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info