Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Gymnastics stench deepens

Gymnastics officials ask Hamm to give up the gold
Needless to say there's no mention of the tapes proving that the Korean was not penalized the prescribed 0.2 for having four (rather than the maximal three) held positions in the routine that's the center of the controversy.

I wish I'd linked to the editorial about the totally corrupt nature of the current gymnastics setup, which (after the cleanup in ice skating) is now just about the only sport controlled mainly by the judges, rather than by the athletes and coaches. The article is no longer available on the Chronicle web site Sad

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gymnastics stench deepens
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gymnastics stench deepens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Gymnastics stench deepens

In reply to: Gymnastics stench deepens

I heard somewhere that the new figure skating judging would be done anonymously. I can't see how that's going to help.

Dan

Collapse -
Now I know

the burden those officials have....they have to try to walk around dragging balls that reach their ankles. What a crock to think that Hamm should even consider such an outrageous 'request' ....especially when you consider that another set of judges pulled the rug out from under Hamm's whole team a day or so before their competition and forced routines to be changed at the last minute.

I truly hope Hamm doesn't give back what he already proved he had what it took to make a miraculous comeback to win....considering that the Korean crying broke the rules himself by performing four held positions as Dave mentioned and should have been penalized for it as well. Hamm's composure with that kind of stress had to be an extreme mental process and he deserved the gold ONLY because the total points gave it to him. If you consider that the Korean should have been given .100 more, BUT had a deduction for the illegally held position, he would have lost anyhow.

Tuff........

TONI

Collapse -
What unmitigated gall!

"...but the U.S. Olympic Committee told them to take responsibility for their own mistakes and refused even to deliver the request.

Rightly so! The IGF is acting VERY irresponsibly in blaming Hamm for their errors. Their "request" is arrogant, politically motivated, and lacks reason.

At least the skating group awarded 2 gold medals in their brought-ha-ha.

There were special times the other night. When the crowd (appropriately) raised a ruckus after the Russian was given a low score, Hamm was waiting to perform. Then the Russian asked the crowd to stop. Hammm overcame that delay and performed well.

The Korean did not perform well that night. Champions should not succumb to pressure.

I wish the Russian would have filed an immediate protest over his low score, but he chose not to do so.

I enjoyed the rowing, dressage, jumping, shooting, marathon, water polo, etc.

I hope Hamm continues to not grant media interviews, and be asked how he feels about the ruckus.

Angeline
Collapse -
well i agree hamm should tell them stick it where

In reply to: What unmitigated gall!

the sun dont shine.
but thats me a ugly american Grin

Collapse -
Re: What unmitigated gall!

'There were special times the other night. When the crowd (appropriately) raised a ruckus after the Russian was given a low score, Hamm was waiting to perform. Then the Russian asked the crowd to stop. Hammm overcame that delay and performed well.'

Unfortunately I didnt get to see all this stuff, but from what little Ive read, I got the impression that the booing influenced the judges. They immediately found a couple of mistakes and changed the score. Whether or not they were earned or if the Russian olympian really didnt perform as he was expected to, I dont know.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: What unmitigated gall!

Hi, Dragon.

The Russian's routine really was superb, yet two of the judges scored it below a clearly inferior earlier routine. While the score was raised, it wasn't raised enough to give the Russian the placement he deserved. And while Hamm's routine that night was good, K and I (and the announcers) thought that the Japanese bronze medalist's routine was actually better than Hamm's. The problem in gymnastics these days is that risk is not appropriately rewarded -- the difference in start values often doesn't reflect accurately the difference in difficulty in the routines, so a perfect performance of an easier routine beats a very slightly flawed performance of a much more difficult routine (toes not perfectly pointed on a horrifically difficult release move, for instance...)

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -

Ueberroth said the USOC considers the case closed, based on the FIG ruling that the scores cannot be changed.

Earlier in the week, the USOC said it was willing to consider supporting the South Koreans' bid for a second gold medal. Scherr said that was no longer possible because of FIG's latest request.

You are so right about the gall part. I realize they don't want to set precedents that every time someone cries the judges are unfair they give multiple golds. But to rule such a solution was unacceptable then asking him to give it up, that's just rude.

If I was more of an conspiracy buff, I think they were trying to make us look like "ugly Americans". Okay so that's a bit extreme, maybe.

But it looks like an attempt to put themselves in the position of "we tried, the Americans wouldn't co-operate", and thus shift the blame off themselves.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Not just a stench, Dave

It's gettin darn deep. Roll up your pantlegs, it's too late to save your socks!

Unbelievable that they'd even THINK of asking an athlete to return a medal. And if he doesn't, I'm guessing that just knowing they want him to tarnishes the whole experience for Hamm. What a shame to ruin what should be one of the happiest times of his life!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Re: Not just a stench, Dave

In reply to: Not just a stench, Dave

Think of the advertising potentail for Hamm though later. For some reason, I can see lots of commercials (from finances to SuperGlue) calling for a semi-humorous commercial indicating a theme like "hold on to what's really yours." Wink

He spoke well this evening when they interviewed him. The atheletes on a whole, have been more appropriate in their conduct overall than in some other games. Few, if any, used physical excuses (even totally legitimate ones) as a reason for a less than perfect performance, and a lot of good sportsmanship was shown in congratulations to winning atheletes and teams.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.