HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

GWB on top of things again!

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 25, 2004 3:46 AM PDT

(from The official White House transctipt of the Bush-Allawi press conference):

>> President Bush: The Prime Minister said something very interesting a while ago, and it's important for the American people to understand. Our strategy is to help the Iraqis help themselves. It's important that we train Iraqi troops. There are nearly 100,000 troops trained. The Afghan (sic) national army is a part of the army. By the way -- it's the Afghan [sic] national army that went into Najaf and did the work there. There's a regular army being trained. There are border guards being trained. There are police being trained. That's a key part of our mission. <<

Meanwhile, from military.com on 9/29: "The number of Iraqi troops is harder to pinpoint. The Pentagon says there are 39,000 trained Iraqi National Guard members and about 4,800 trained Iraqi Army soldiers."

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GWB on top of things again!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GWB on top of things again!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOL
by C1ay / October 25, 2004 5:13 AM PDT

Skimming again huh? Are you really trying to tell us that the Afghan army went to do work in Najaf?

Of course it's obvious you retyped your supposed Bush quote since it's nowhere in the article you linked to. The closest thing is, "Nearly 100,000 fully trained and equipped Iraqi soldiers, police officers, and other security personnel are working today." Thought you'd just doctor that bit up a little huh? Maybe you should see if Dan Rather has any work for you. You and he would make an unbelievable pair (pun intended).

Collapse -
LOL yourself, Clay
by Josh K / October 25, 2004 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL

DK linked to two different articles. I found both of his quotes with no difficulty. And YES, Bush DID say (twice) that the Afghan army was in Najaf.

I'm sure DK accepts your apology. And I'm willing to give Bush the benefit of the doubt and guess that he was just misspeaking (yet again) and knows that the Afghan army isn't in Najaf.

Collapse -
Re: LOL yourself, Clay
by C1ay / October 25, 2004 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL yourself, Clay

OK, found the Afghan references. Bush still said, "Nearly 100,000 fully trained and equipped Iraqi soldiers, police officers, and other security personnel are working today." though. Bush is good with bloopers though.

Then again, Kerry just wants to turn the whole thing back over to the U.N. Sad I wonder how quick the U.N. will be to try and keep Al-ZArqawi from seeking power.

Collapse -
by Dan McC / October 25, 2004 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL yourself, Clay

I'm sure DaveK will accept Clay's apology just as soon as it's offered.

Dan

Collapse -
by C1ay / October 25, 2004 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: LOL yourself, Clay

Sorry Dave Shocked

Happy Dan? Devil

Collapse -
by Dan McC / October 26, 2004 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: LOL yourself, Clay

If you think that's the kind of apology your parents would want you to make after the insulting accusations you leveled against DaveK, that's fine with me.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: LOL-- Following my candidate's lead !!!
by Bob / October 25, 2004 6:05 AM PDT

Well Clay. I'm glad to see you following Bush's lead in committing to the policy of "If I don't admit to it or recognize that it exists it will go away". Some anti-Bush people even call it the policy of "Don't confuse the issue with facts". This is from the candidate that still insists that there ARE WMD in Iraq, Saddam was a threat to our safety here in the US and Saddam was a high-ranking official in Al Qaeda. Bush probably had a devilishly clever scheme in dealing with Al Qaeda terrorists that a lot of Americans didn't recognize. He planned to attack and occupy any and all countries that could be utilized by Al Qaeda for their evil purposes but he ran out of resources first. Do you remember when Administration officials were talking about attacking Iran, Syria and other Axis-Of-Evil countries? I do.

Collapse -
Excuse me?
by C1ay / October 25, 2004 7:12 AM PDT
Well Clay. I'm glad to see you following Bush's lead in committing to the policy of "If I don't admit to it

Skimming? Admitting to it was the purpose of this post.

Collapse -
Re: LOL -- Look again, Clay.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 25, 2004 6:12 AM PDT

Hi, Clay.

Not in the article I linked to? Try searching the item with "(sic)" in your web browser; unbelievabley, the WH site recognized Bush's error and called attention to it, rather than correcting it. But even if he meant "Iraqi Army," his numbers are way over-optimistic -- just like his appreciation of the iraqi misadventure from the get-go.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

P.S. it is near the bottom of the item, so I guess skimmers can miss it...

Collapse -
You're right! Umm...except
by Dan McC / October 25, 2004 6:21 AM PDT

not really. I thought it was wrong, too, right away. First, no one with two brain cells would say Afghan when his hand picked guy from Iraq was standing right, freakin' next to him! Second, why would the White House press office use square brackets and parentheses to set off sic in the transcript? Usually they use square.

But then I looked at the transcript.

Dan

Collapse -
You're right!
by Dragon / October 26, 2004 1:55 AM PDT

I agree that no one with two brain cells to rubb together would say that. Or anything else, for that matter! :^O

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.