PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Gutts on table - No JOY

by Michael Dehnel / July 3, 2009 3:07 AM PDT

MB: ASUS Striker Extreme
Graphics Card: EVGA GTS8800
Memory: Ballistix DDR2 800Mhz
Case: Antec Dual power supply

History: System has been running fine for over a year. Lately it has required multiple resets to boot up. Eventually that ended and I get no post. Did some of my own research narrowed it to what I thought was the MB. Worked with ASUS over the phone they had me RMA the MB. Upon return same problem.

Status Que: MB is outside of the case. 1 RAM stick in slot (1) ~tried others. Have tried graphics card in both slots. Checked PS operation using an Antec tester I bought look clean.

Symptoms: No Boot, No Post and after a short while the system self powers down.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gutts on table - No JOY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gutts on table - No JOY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So they sent you another MB or your same MB ?
by VAPCMD / July 3, 2009 3:24 AM PDT

What PSU are you using ?

Collapse -
ANTEC Case
by Michael Dehnel / July 3, 2009 3:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Exactly what does it do now when you turn it on ?
by VAPCMD / July 3, 2009 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: ANTEC Case

Did you send the CPU with the MB ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
CPU with MB
by Michael Dehnel / July 3, 2009 11:45 AM PDT

No I have a Q6600 they don't want to see anything but the MB when they RMA one.

Collapse -
So what are you going to try next ? Thought about trying
by VAPCMD / July 3, 2009 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU with MB

another CPU ...even a low end CPU just for testing ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Take nothing for granted
by Willy / July 3, 2009 3:25 AM PDT

Because you don't have a "test bed" to check each component/device separately or alone, you go with a "go or no go" setup. Plus, if you're re-using the same parts even if tested a combo of problems could still exist. In other words, you're not sure and proceed. If they sent a new mtrbd. and not the same one back, you may have blown that one as well re-using the same parts. -OR- the cpu itself is bad and breaks down under use. Do you have other good parts? This is why a test bed becomes a handy tool for techs and no need for diag. PCB, etc.. A new PSU of higher wattage is a plus too. Since before it finally failed, multiple reboots to start, looks like a PSU issue. If you can check your AC outlet, use a Radio Smack AC tester to see if wiring is correct. Also, if AC is an issue, like frequent surges or brownouts, etc., well that has to be corrected. A UPS and better protection is in order. In other words a lot is going on and the problem could return even with a brand new system.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
OK but what are you suggesting
by Michael Dehnel / July 3, 2009 3:43 AM PDT

They did return the same MB. They did not provide any insight as to what they did (if anything) Yes I can call them I'm just getting tired of dealing with ASUS.

Your right I'm just a homebody with out all the test gear - and while I do have 4 PC's my present one is one my most recent builds so I don't have a lot of extra's floating around that would be compatible. I've considering buy a POST diagonstics Card and maybe I should to try to deternine what is that actual problem before I do insstall a new MB. Because I do agree with your statement that a cascading failure cold still exist.

As for Power my house is pretty stable don't even recall the last brown out and I do protect the PC. Plus I would hate to thing that my next troubleshooting step is to have the Electric Company upgade my service Cool

Collapse -
Test - troubleshooting
by Willy / July 3, 2009 5:58 AM PDT

I would try another PSU, yours is too unique. Plus have another compatible cpu to continue on. If you like get a better cpu as an upgrade. Remember a simple system, no need for any drives, etc., basic. In the bios, select default values and/or safe level, vs any extreme/hi-end output.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?