HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Guid me to choose a better camera

by pkbothers / October 25, 2004 9:40 AM PDT

Hi

I am planning to buy a canon 5MP digital camera, out these which one is a good one. Please carify in detail with reasons.

Canon powershot A95,
Canon powershot S500 and
Canon powershot S60

Thanks in advance
Cheers
PB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Guid me to choose a better camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Guid me to choose a better camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Guide me to choose a better camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

You have chosen three desirable cameras.
They all have great lenses and take sharp photos.

They are not meant to be in competition with each other.

The S500 is a great point-and-shoot camera.
It has some scene modes that let you control some special situations. It is small and pocketable.

The A95 is a great intermediate camera.
It can operate as a point-and-shoot camera in automatic mode. It also has all of the desired manual over-ride controls for the user who wants to get more involved with photography.

The S60 (there is an S70 now) is one step above the A95 in diversification. It also offers a wide angle lens and is considered the small (physical) cousin to the Canon G5 (there is a G6 now).

Some people don't want the manual over-ride controls. They want something simpler that takes good sharp photos. That would be the S500.

Some people want good sharp photos. They alwo want to be able to use the camera under adverse photographic situations, control depth of field and create special effects. That would be the A95.

The S60 has a wide angle lens which is helpful when photographing a lot of people in a small space. If offers a few more manual controls than the A95, and offers the uncompressed RAW mode. It almost equals the G5 in manual controls. It has a bit more optical zoom (3.6X) than the other two cameras. It is a tad larger than the A95.

Here is a comparison chart of the specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_s500%2Ccanon_a95%2Ccanon_s60&show=all

Collapse -
10 MP Camera which one is better?
by pkbothers / September 9, 2007 12:13 PM PDT

Hi

I am back again with another question.This time I am planning to buy a 10MP digital camera, out these which one is a good one. Please carify in detail with reasons. Is there any beeter camera avaiable with similar category? I am planning to invest at most $500. Please help

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
Canon PowerShot G7

Thanks in advance
Cheers
PB

Collapse -
10 MP camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

Both the Canon G7 and Panasonic FZ50 are excellent cameras.

Trying to compare one to the other is a lot like trying to compare a Sedan to a SUV (sports utility vehicle).

The Panasonic is much larger and weighs twice as much.
It has twice as much optical zoom.

Here is a comparison chart:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g7%2Cpanasonic_dmcfz50&show=all

There is also a complete review of each camera.
Click the green link just under the photo of the camera.

Since the cameras are physically so dissimilar,
I recommend you go to a camera store and get your hands on both cameras.
See which one feels best to you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.