General discussion

guest account - unable to log on

Aug 18, 2008 12:43PM PDT

i tried (for the first time) to log in as "guest" but am not able to. i enabled the guest account from control panel. the guest icon appeared...when i clicked on it the first time the error msg i get:

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

i restarted the computer, now when i click on guest, nothing happens; if i click on my icon, every thing is normal.

system: windows XP PRO serv pk 2, lenovo t61

the pc works great otherwise.

thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: guest account - unable to log on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: guest account - unable to log on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Bad idea anyway
Aug 18, 2008 12:51PM PDT

Enabling the guest account is a bad idea anyway, so it's probably good it doesn't work. The short version of why it's a bad idea is that it's a security risk, just like any account without a password on it. If for some reason you need to let someone else access your system, create a second account for them, and set the necessary restrictions. Just be sure it includes a password, and not some easily guessed one either. Google should help you locate more information on creating strong passwords if you need it.

- Collapse -
perhaps...
Aug 18, 2008 1:32PM PDT

you are probably right but it bugs me that something is broken (corrupted) in my system

- Collapse -
Seems proper.
Aug 18, 2008 12:54PM PDT

That's not what the guest account was for. Research "Windows Networking and the Guest Account" on google for more.

- Collapse -
for guests?
Aug 18, 2008 1:36PM PDT

i did search google/yahoo (i always do before posting) but could not find any answer to fix my problem. i found one article which describes a procedure to repair guest account but that did not work for me.

- Collapse -
Sorry you missed it.
Aug 18, 2008 10:19PM PDT

The Guest account is for allowing something to happen with network shares and not for use as you wanted it.

To create your other account, just create another user by the name you want it to be.

Yes, there are some that will tilt against how Windows works but if you do you might be upset and waste a lot of time.
Bob

- Collapse -
you guessed right
Aug 19, 2008 12:04AM PDT

i have been wasting time trying to fix it (as a challenge!) even thought the fix is simple- create a new limited account

thanks for your help

CNET Forums

Forum Info