Desktops forum

General discussion

GTX280. What PSU?

by stryker3006 / August 9, 2008 5:38 PM PDT

Building a new rig. Could anybody please recommend a PSU. Will be running a XFX GTX280 xxx edition. intel quad core 3.2GHz processor.
3 2 7200rpm HDD running in raid0.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GTX280. What PSU?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GTX280. What PSU?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simply. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 9, 2008 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: GTX280. What PSU?

Since I don't do research on components, and you didn't give the power requirements of your rig. . .

As big as you can afford. Really. At least a 500 watt or more. With power supplys, more is better. It doesn't work as hard, there's always a reserve, and it will actually use less electricity than a smaller unit.

Collapse -
Best to list all the electrical components for the best
by VAPCMD / August 10, 2008 2:13 AM PDT

PSU estimate..

And in the case of PSUs .... more is better ... even if not used. Also look at the PSU efficiency...the better units are usually more efficient with use of electricity.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
gtx280 minimum power supply is 550w with 40A +12V
by ramarc / August 10, 2008 4:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
psu for gtx280
by stryker3006 / August 15, 2008 2:19 PM PDT

thanks am looking at a coolermaster 1000m.
Plenty in reserve for the future and moduler disign seem to
make this a good psu.

Collapse -
There are better PSUs for your dollar than CoolerMaster.
by VAPCMD / August 15, 2008 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: psu for gtx280

Check out PCP&Cooling, Corsair, Antec, etc.,

See and compare buyer reviews at Newegg...good info.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
nope, coolermaster high power units rate very high
by ramarc / August 17, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Didn't say CoolerMaster was bad, I said....
by VAPCMD / August 17, 2008 9:02 AM PDT

there are better PSUs for your dollar than CoolerMaster'. They may do well on their high-end units but not as high, as reliably or for as long as PCPower&Cooling, Seasonic, or others. If CoolerMaster PSUs are as good as you indicate, tell me how many you have running in your systems and why you initially recommended Corsair to poster above ?

Re Jonnyguru.com . . . not sure but believe I'm first to recommend Jonnyguru to the CNET Forums so I think I have a fairly good perspective on what value it adds to perspective buyers. Further, I will always balance TECH reviews (jonnyguru, tomshardware, etc.,) and feedback/recommendations with user experiences as reported by buyers on Newegg and elsewhere. Tech review sites report on one unit which are sometimes tweaked or juiced knowing they'll be reviewed by a TECH site and they're only tested over a short duration whereas Newegg buyers report almost continuously on such units from receipt, installation and use.

VAPCMD

PS...Believe this is the last PSU reveiw I read on CoolerMaster
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13271/20

Collapse -
coolermaster's 1000w is one of the best 1k units
by ramarc / August 17, 2008 10:45 AM PDT

just like antec they make inexpensive units and high-end units. the poster wanted a suggestion and the corsair best 750w choice because its a quality unit and has special sale pricing now.

seasonic makes the internals of many power supplies so don't just go by the name on the package. but just because the high-end unit is seasonic based doesn't mean that the whole line is from seasonic. and pc power and cooling was purchased by ocz last year so their tech is in most of ocz high-end units.

and newegg is just opinions not from folks who have tested dozens of units and not using professional test equipment. can you load a power supply to it's rated output on each rail? can you accurately measure voltage regulation or ripple? no, and neither can the typical newegg buyer (me included). and the reviewers often contradict each other (one says it's loud, the other says it's super quiet) and highly rate cheap equipment (this $20 sunbeam 580w has a 4 egg rating - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709011).

long and short is if you're looking for a quality, high end power supply, stick with a technical review. and if hardocp and jonnyguru use cherry picked components why do they solidy pan certain units and why do some units flat out fail their testing.

Collapse -
Did you read my post before responding ? Your response
by VAPCMD / August 18, 2008 2:20 PM PDT

certainly does not indicate you did.

If one followed your advice...you could buy a PSU based on a great tech review when what was being sold and installed could be just the opposite. Not sure why you dismiss buyer reviews. While there are some meaningless reviews/comments ..there are certainly some from buyers/builders with significant experience that post there too. The point is it's ANOTHER source that folks can take advantage of in making their buying choice.

Re OCZ, PCPower & Cooling, Seasonic I already know that and reiterate I brought the Jonnyguru.com reference to CNET Forums....he's a great resource along with others like Tomshardware.com.

I usually enjoy your posts....the ones in this thread have been an exception to that.

VAPCMD

PS...I own a number of PSUs ... Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, OCZ, Antec, CoolerMaster to name a few. I'm still running an Enermax in a system that's been running 24/7 for 4 years...maybe more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?