General discussion

GTX 470 and cooling

Hey everyone.

I am going to buy one of the new GeForce GTX 470 cards, but I don't quite know if the onboard cooling will be adequate. However, I saw a PCI slot fan laying around, and I figured I'd throw that in. The problem is, both of these fans will be drawing air from the same small "crevice" in between the cards (my motherboard is small). Do you guys think this is safe, or will there be a bit of a struggle for air between the two cards? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: GTX 470 and cooling
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: GTX 470 and cooling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You might want...
- Collapse -
Is there a specific brand and model GTX 470 you're

looking at ? Most of the ones I've seen have their own exhaust channel so the GPU occupies two full slots.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Yes

I'm looking at this one.

Just wanted to keep the system a little cooler. Running the card on its own is fine, right?

- Collapse -
Yes...but you may want more case cooling by

upgrading the case fans. The case fans bring in air used to cool the CPU and GPU and exhaust the heat generated inside.

What PSU do you have ? The GPU specs indicate: "Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)"

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Might be pushing the PSU just a bit

My PSU is 630 watts with 2 +12V rails, each at 22 Amps. So, a total of 44 Amps on the 12V rails.

If I added a PCI slot fan, since both of them would be pulling air from the same small spot in between the cards, would they be fighting for air to pull in?

- Collapse -
Exactly what PSU do you have ?? Do you have a link for

it ?

Depends on the slot fan. Personally I recommend better case fans..those that can put more cool air into case to cool the components. Besides, why lose a slot if you don't have to ??

PS...Don't believe you can add the AMPs from each 12V rail and use them as total +12V AMPs. 44 AMPS on the +12V is low for a 630 PSU. Here a link to a 650W PSU and it has 52 AMPS on the +12V.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

- Collapse -
PSU
My PSU. It's pretty new. Yea, I should have sprung for something a bit bigger.

Could putting the slot fan right next to the video card harm either of them, as they would be fighting for air?
- Collapse -
RE: Could putting the slot fan right next to the video card

either of them, as they would be fighting for air?

Harm them ... maybe, maybe not. It could adversely affect GPU cooling. It really depends on the specific device and direction of flow which has not been identified.

Question is do you want to just want to add a slot fan which you keep asking about or improve system cooling ? You're taking up two slots for the GPU.... why take up/use another slot for marginal, if any, improvement ?

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Thanks

Hm..if it isn't gonna help at all, I won't throw in the slot fan. Thanks a bunch for your help.

- Collapse -
You're welcome. If you find you need more cooling ,

your first look should be at reducing the device temp...CPU, GPU, chipset, etc. and there are aftermarket product for that. Next look at system cooling devices. Better ... more efficient, high CFM, low-noise case fans would be the first thing to try after any device specific solutions. A good 80MM, 90MM, 120MM or 140MM case fan can move a lot of room temp air into the case where it can help lower multiple component temps ... CPUs, GPU, chipsets, etc.

VAPCMD

CNET Forums

Forum Info