Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

GTX 295 and directx 11

by ebotos / September 29, 2009 11:14 AM PDT

I'm afraid I'm not exactly a pro with computers so you will have to excuse my ignorance. I have a fair idea of what I'm doing so I hope this all makes sense.

I've had issues with my Nvidia GTX 260 and had to send it back. As the company I bought it with no longer stock it, I decided (perhaps stupidly) to upgrade to a BFG GTX 295. I'm working through a lot of upgrades to my set up over the next month or so and will soon be purchasing 8GB RAM, Windows 7 and a 24 inch monitor running at 1920 x 1200 resolution.

My bro will be helping me to ensure everything is running to its full capacity, but my main worry is that I've made a mistake going for the GTX 295 now, when I'm reading that it isn't directx 11 compatible. This is primarily a games machine and I was hoping it could handle anything thrown at it for a while. How much of an issue is this going to be for me with the 295 and will I end up having to upgrade to a 300 series when they are released?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GTX 295 and directx 11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GTX 295 and directx 11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All great stuff but one problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: GTX 295 and directx 11

Windows 7 isn't released so the issues of drivers and the lack of support may dog you for the next month. When Windows 7 ships there is usually a delay till the drivers become "official" and the support for your machine can answer your questions.

Looks like great choices but you are in "the unsupported land."
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by ebotos / September 30, 2009 1:34 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I'm planning on picking up Win 7 on the 22nd Oct so that I can run the 64 bit and get the full use of my RAM. I'm just a tad worried on the likely dominance of directx 11 for new games. I guess all I can hope is that it won't make a huge difference and game makes still focus on 10 for as long as possible. Happy

Collapse -
Here's the question that drives where games go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

"Where's the money?"

If the Windows PCs are running XP and Vista for 99% of the population that is buying games (read carefully the words here) then you pick the DirectX that lets those use your game.

If you have a long term game plan you might want to just forgo any media, sell the activation code or monthly game play (WOW?) and the game software is from the web. So with off the web versions you have versions for each OS.

The bottom line is quite simple. Games and titles move to where the money is. It does not cater to those that held onto Windows 98 for example.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!