Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Grouping a document after using mail merge

by witherwack / August 13, 2006 10:37 PM PDT

Is it possible to group a document after using mail merge to gather data from an Access database?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Grouping a document after using mail merge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Grouping a document after using mail merge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll write yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 12:15 AM PDT

But decline how except to offer it may involve writing code after someone writes the software specifications.

Bob

Collapse -
Can you explain?
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2006 4:05 AM PDT

I don't see how a 'document' can be 'grouped', not how it - after such a mysterious operation following mail merge (with what data?) - could 'gather data' from an Access database.

So please tell more.

Kees

Collapse -
Grouping a document after using mail merge
by witherwack / August 14, 2006 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you explain?

I opened MS Word then opened Mail Merge and Opened a Data Source, that being an Access Database.

The database holds absence details and can contain multiple records for an employee.

So once the mail merge has been ran, the same employee name appears on 3 or 4 document pages, I would like 1 employee with 3 or 4 abence details beneath.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Collapse -
Re: mail merge grouping
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2006 7:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Just sort?
by entrecon / August 14, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

The Access report would work, but if you just want all of the reports to be "grouped" together, mneaning no difference in formatting, you should be able to just sort the names before you do the merge.

Collapse -
Just a note.
by Kees Bakker / August 15, 2006 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sort?

Entrecon,

I read "the same employee name appears on 3 or 4 document pages, I would like 1 employee with 3 or 4 abence details beneath" as a wish for a grouping leading to 3 or 4 details (depending on the number of absence details for any employee) on ONE page. And then a simple sort isn't sufficient. That's why I gave other possible solutions.

Kees

Collapse -
Grouping
by witherwack / August 15, 2006 5:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a note.

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice, I think using the Access Reports may be the easiest and quickest.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!