The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Ground Control to CNet Tom...

by Woadan / September 4, 2008 12:10 PM PDT

It is officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. (Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales.)

Just so you know...

Woadan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ground Control to CNet Tom...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ground Control to CNet Tom...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a second...
by rosscbrown / September 4, 2008 1:11 PM PDT

I've wrote an email or two to Tom about this before, but I think Tom might have been suggesting that NI was not exempt from the recall.

NI for one reason or another is often not grouped together with the GB in sales etc and often major companies have separate business groups for NI - for example Sky TV have separate business groups for GB and NI despite both being part of the UK of GB and NI.

That could mean that the laptop sold in NI differed from those sold in the UK.

As the BBC story states ?The recall concerns 19 Vaio models in the TZ series manufactured between May 2007 and July 2008 - but does not include models sold in the UK? without qualifying ?UK? - I guess it is up to you to decide if the UK stands for GB or GB and NI.

Collapse -
That said...
by rosscbrown / September 4, 2008 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a second...

Having looked about a little, the term 'United Kingdom' or 'UK' usually refers to union between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Norther Ireland - thus NI *should* be exempt from the recall.

But having check on the Sony website, they don't exclude NI from their UK sales.

So I'm going to say NI is exempt from the recall.

Collapse -
Thanks Ross
by acedtect / September 5, 2008 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: That said...

Y'all are jumping on me as if I didn't know that NI was part of the UK, when what I was pointing out is that the NI market is often lumped in with Ireland by companies, for geographic convenience. So if the recall exempts the UK, there's always a question of whether the company means the UK proper or the UK market.

This is similar to companies referring to the US market but in reality leaving out Hawaii or Alaska, which also happens.

Thanks for looking into it for us Ross!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.