Computer Help forum

General discussion

Grisoft AVG

by stevirey / July 7, 2004 2:43 PM PDT

After completing avg down-load I then ran the virus scan.It found 11 trojan horsies!It was finished and restarted my computer.Seemed to boot up fine.I clicked on my log on icon and the darn computer just went black,nothing!I'm at work now and got an e-mail back from then saying I haden't registered ect.I thhought they might have some pity on me.Does anyone know what might have happened?Maybe I could try to get them on the phone.Oh well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Grisoft AVG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Grisoft AVG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Grisoft AVG
by HerbChong / July 8, 2004 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Grisoft AVG

if you deleted infected files that are also needed for running Windows, your computer will die like that. you need to boot from your Windows Setup CD and reinstall Windows, make sure that the antivirus program is loaded, then connect to the Internet to reinstall all Microsoft Windows updates. don't ever connect to the Internet directly without a firewall running. if you are using dialup to one of the major providers like AOL or MSN, the firewall issue is less important. any broadband connection requires a firewall.

the average time it takes an unprotected computer connected by broadband to the Internet to be infected by a virus is 2 seconds. this assumes you already have an antivirus program and all of Microsoft's critical updates installed.

Herb....

Collapse -
by stevirey / July 10, 2004 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Grisoft AVG

herbchong,thank you for responding and reminding me about the firewall and anti-virus issue.You must be right about deleating something the computer needs along with the virus.Maybe I shoulden't have closed the virus program window as I restarted the computer.I don't know.I was able to run this E Machine(costco)by hitting F8 just when the E logo flashed and get it in safe mode.I then used the restore feature go back a few days and bingo.Was running as crappy as ever.I quickly found a free one time virus scan and removel tool on line.Wow.working like new again!

Collapse -
by stevirey / July 10, 2004 4:43 AM PDT

P.S.I used Panda Active Scan,thank you Panda.

Collapse -
by mp3artists / July 17, 2004 9:40 AM PDT

I've used both Panda and AVG and they are both excellent products. Thanks for the upate on Panda's "active scan".

Now is the time to re install AVG. shut down all running programs, especially any other anti virus and install AVG. It is without question the best free program I have ever used. You can enable it to detect any incoming malware. Besides Zone Alarm (another great free program), you can use the latest "freeware" blessing. Spybot - search and destroy. This is a great "guardian"interceptor program as well. I run both it and Adaware. Of course you have to pray for the software writer to get his girlfriend back, that's what you have to do in return for his spybot freeware (seriously, no kidding) Grin

peace
Chris

Collapse -
by lhoenig / July 17, 2004 2:02 PM PDT

You are not going to get a virus solely by connecting to the internet without running a firewall. Viruses do not just magically install out of nowhere. That one blaster worm could infect your computer if you don't have the patch installed (assuming you're even using windows).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!