Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Grisoft: Attention AVG 7.0/7.1 users

by Donna Buenaventura / April 10, 2007 6:46 AM PDT

A recent AVG update can cause problems for users still using outdated versions of AVG (version 7.0 or 7.1), or if AVG Free was previously used on the same computer. Symptoms can vary from an incorrect state of some AVG components, to errors during running tests, causing AVG to unexpectedly close. Detailed description of these symptoms and information on how to correctly solve this problem is available at the Support section, topic no. 545.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/faq/us/crp/0?num=545#faq_545

545:Repetitive EXCEPTION error after the last AVG update

There may be a problem with some of the AVG Control Center components after the last AVG update. This problem appears only when a very old program (AVG 7.0) version is updated. The error messages may be related to

Virus Base component (incorrect state)
Shell Extension (not installed)
Resident Shield (not loaded or installed)

The solution is to do a Repair installation of your AVG using the latest AVG 7.5 installation file. This process is described in details in our FAQ 286.

If there was AVG Free installed on your pc in the past, it is necessary to follow also these steps after the repair installation: run AVG Control Center - Update Manager - Settings - tab URL - use button Default and confirm.

If the problem persists, please contact our technical support team either using our Technical Support form or directly at technicalsupport@grisoft.com (please enter your AVG license number (can be found in AVG - Information menu - About AVG) into the e-mail body).

Examples of possible error states:

Virus EXCEPTION found on Avgcore.dll, avgcc.exe files
Operating system reboots itself.
Error: Resident Shield is not loaded or installed
Internal virus base: "It is not possible to check the state of this component, connection failed." or "Component is installed properly, however the control failed with error code: 0x81000002"
AVG Shell Extension: AVG is not integrated in the Microsoft Windows Explorer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Grisoft: Attention AVG 7.0/7.1 users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Grisoft: Attention AVG 7.0/7.1 users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
avg 7.0/7.1
by mikejennings / April 13, 2007 10:20 AM PDT

i thank that grisoft posted that up from novmber to the time that they stop supporting 7.1.
mikejennings

Collapse -
Posted by them on April 10
by Donna Buenaventura / April 13, 2007 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: avg 7.0/7.1

Yes, they notified users that the old version is not supported anymore (last year) but the above was posted April 10, 2007 by them to alert users on how to fix the problem on Control Center after the last update.

In their news section and it was in their RSS feeds on April 10:
"Attention AVG 7.0/7.1 users

A recent AVG update can cause problems for users still using outdated versions of AVG (version 7.0 or 7.1), or if AVG Free was previously used on the same computer. Symptoms can vary from an incorrect state of some AVG components, to errors during running tests, causing AVG to unexpectedly close. Detailed description of these symptoms and information on how to correctly solve this problem is available at the Support section, topic no. 545.
Learn more
April 10, 2007"

Collapse -
Re; AVG 7.0/7.1 Update Problems
by brownbuffalo1 / April 13, 2007 6:41 PM PDT

How do us ME & older versions of windows get around this. I've just spent 20mins trying to find that installation file, and it looks to be a big file @ 40mb.On dialup I'll be here till next Easter trying to download it(Joking):) I assume that file will be XP OS.???
Mareena

Collapse -
19.8MB only. Not 40MB
by Donna Buenaventura / April 13, 2007 7:03 PM PDT

Hi,

Go to http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5
Scroll down the page and you should see:
AVG Free for Windows installation files
File Version
avg75free_446a991.exe 7.5.446.all

Download that. It is only 19.8MB (that is less than 20MB). Not 40MB Happy

The supported platforms for AVG 7.5 Free AntiVirus are Win98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista.

Collapse -
Re;AVG 7.0/7.1 Update
by brownbuffalo1 / April 14, 2007 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: 19.8MB only. Not 40MB

Thanks Donna, Also try the "Australian PC User" DVD from March 2007, the file AVG75 Free_432a861.exe (16.8mb) for those having probs with downloads.I ended up removing the early version & doing a clean install of the above. It picked up a Trojan Generic.VDY, even before doing the update. Running OK so far.

Collapse -
You're welcome! that setup file is
by Donna Buenaventura / April 14, 2007 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re;AVG 7.0/7.1 Update

very fine because it's v7.5. You'll receive program and defs... still Happy

Good work in upgrading!

Collapse -
Alternative download link
by Donna Buenaventura / April 13, 2007 7:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
AVG 7.0/7.1 users - update problems
by brownbuffalo1 / April 13, 2007 5:37 PM PDT

Thanks for the heads up Re; this problem. Have been racking my brain trying figure out. Even trying to access Grisoft itself is hard.I have found that if you try and re-install, you can use the "Repair Istallation" tab, but you lose your virus update.You can run the Test Center, whereas before my Drives were locked.

Collapse -
Method...
by Donna Buenaventura / April 13, 2007 7:06 PM PDT

When repairing AVG installation... you need to restart, right after you selected "remove user settings".

Did you do that?

Collapse -
Can we just
by Maggie6243 / April 13, 2007 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Method...

uninstall and reinstall to fix the problem? Seems like an easier solution,unless I'm missing something....Maggie

Collapse -
Maybe it depends on the problem Maggie
by Donna Buenaventura / April 14, 2007 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Can we just

Grisoft's recommendation is the following:
1. Recommended re-install / uninstall guide is in:
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,64238,backpage=,sv=

2. Recommended fix guide for below problem:
- Virus Base component (incorrect state)
- Shell Extension (not installed)
- Resident Shield (not loaded or installed)

With error messages such as:

Virus EXCEPTION found on Avgcore.dll, avgcc.exe files
Operating system reboots itself.
Error: Resident Shield is not loaded or installed
Internal virus base: "It is not possible to check the state of this component, connection failed." or "Component is installed properly, however the control failed with error code: 0x81000002"
AVG Shell Extension: AVG is not integrated in the Microsoft Windows Explorer.

their recommendation on # 2 is to repair using the setup/installer of AVG 7.5 : http://www.grisoft.com/doc/faq/us/crp/0?num=545#faq_545

Collapse -
avg update
by frmtrkr / April 14, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

i found that after update i had a second avg setup icon on my desk top. this would try to load and come up with all the above problems. i removed this seconf install. avg then updated original and i have not had a problem since. hope this can help someone

Collapse -
AVG Updates
by Dave Cal / April 14, 2007 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: avg update

I don't understand all this confusion here.
Recently when I decided to go with the free AVG, which was recommended by Leo Laporte by the way, I just downloaded the latest file and it updates itself periodically.
I just checked, and I have 7.5.4 version. All appears to be OK.

Collapse -
The problem is not with v7.5 Dave :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / April 14, 2007 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG Updates

It is the unsupported v7.0/7.1 as per Grisoft.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
I WAS an AVG user
by btljooz / April 14, 2007 4:27 AM PDT

from the time it first came out until a little over a year ago when I discovered Avast AV.

AVG started going down hill badly about two years ago. I started having problems with the prog itself and it even missed SEVERAL viral infections! The online scans I used at the time caught those.

Then I discovered Avast. It's a LOT more powerful than AVG, monitors and looks in a LOT MORE places in the computer than AVG EVER did and updates a LOT more often than AVG...sometimes SEVERAL times a day!!! Cool

Moral to this story: If you're tired of AVG's male bovine fecal matter, give Avast a try! Once you have it configured the way you want, I doubt you'll ever want to mess with AVG again. Wink

BTW: If you uninstall AVG, it WILL leave plenty of 'leftovers' on your computer. So, install a good registry cleaner like TweakNow RegCleaner and CC cleaner (both available here in CNet Downloads...as well as Avast... for free if you don't already have such software) to get rid of those junk files left behind.

GOOD LUCK! Happy

Collapse -
I am using both
by Dave Cal / April 14, 2007 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I WAS an AVG user

Sounds like good advice here.
I never realized there were so many deficiencies in AVG.
I do use the free Avast on another computer and I'm very happy with it.
At the risk of being superficial, I even think The User Interface looks better...
Another good tip. If you need a good free Firewall to go with you free A/V. check out Comodo, it's really good.

Collapse -
In ADDITION:
by btljooz / April 16, 2007 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I WAS an AVG user

After I posted the bit about Avast being so much better than AVG, the point was driven home to me in another forum about the fact that tbe Free version of AVG no longer offers the "Heuristics Search" that it USED to Plain .

Avast Free DOES search Heuristically!!! Cool

Who would even want an AV that doesn't search heuristically??? Confused

And, thanks, Dave for the tip on Comodo Firewall. WinkHappy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?