Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Grif, Question about procedure,cleaning junk files

by Ray_moe / February 26, 2010 2:40 AM PST

Grif

Downloaded and printed your procedure from 2004 on how to clean junk files from computer.

When using tmp from search there are other files besides only tmp found Should they all be deleted as suggested in your procedure or only the tmp ones.

Same thing goes for chk in the search mode.

Is this the current procedure for cleaning junk files.

Thanks
Ray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Grif, Question about procedure,cleaning junk files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Grif, Question about procedure,cleaning junk files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought..
by jeff_windows_team / February 26, 2010 2:59 AM PST

Not sure what OS you are running, but Windows has a feature called Disk Cleanup that does a good job deleting unnecessary files from your PC.

Collapse -
Junk files
by Ray_moe / February 26, 2010 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought..

Hi Jeff

Sorry I omitted to include this is a Windows XP home addition sp 3 system.

I run disk clean up and defrag from time to time. The current entry in disk clean up is web client/published temporary files with 32 kb.

Ccleaner is part of my clean up procedure along with cleaning cookies and temp files from internet explorer.

Still when running tmp from search I have numerous files which are tmp.

I also have files such as the library tmplprov.dll in C:\windows\system32]wbem and others in prefetch,security and etc. Those are the ones I question should I delete.

The same question in chk where there are executable files should they be deleted.

Thanks for the reply

Ray

Collapse -
Ray, Those Temp Files
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Junk files

Although you may have done a search for "tmp", the search should be for ".tmp".. There's a dot at the beginning.. Primarily, you can only safely remove those files that have a file extension of .tmp.. In order to find them, be sure that you're doing a search for "All Files" and "Hidden files" which require a slight tweaking of the "Search" utility for some. And be sure you've got your "Folder Options" set to show the file extensions for all files. (Open Windows Explorer, click on "Tools-Folder Options-View tab, then UNCHECK the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types".)

Same think for .chk files.. Lots of files have the letters "chk" but you're looking for just those that have a file extension as .chk.. And as I said below, on Windows XP computers, I generally leave the .chk files alone.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes, It's Much The Same But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 9:34 AM PST

...that particular procedure was originally written for Windows 98.. Some of the items you are referring to are actually discussed further down in that specific topic area.. Generally, the answer is Yes, you can delete all Files and Folders with a .tmp file extensions, BUT there is one caveat that I can think of. With Windows XP, there is a "Lastgood.tmp" folder that is created and used if you ever need to use the "Last Known Good Configuration" restore option. Because of that, although it won't "hurt" anything if you delete the "Lastgood.tmp" folder, you may not be able to restore back to "Lastgood" if necessary. It's your choice. I would keep it if I had plenty of space. Besides, the "lastgood.tmp" folder can sometimes be difficult to delete because it's normally being "used" by Windows.

In Windows 2000 and earlier, there shouldn't be a problem with deleting Folders with a .tmp extension.

Likewise with the .chk files. It won't hurt anything to remove them but for Windows XP, the common .chk files in Windows XP are normally "edb.chk" files which are recovered file fragments and are frequently used as "checkpoints" for various programs. It's a personal choice on these particular files as the .chk on Windows XP are extremely small files and if you've only got two or three of them, it's not that important to clean them out. On Windows XP machines I LEAVE the .chk files where they are. On Windows 9.x and ME, I delete them as they can become numerous and large.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
.tmp files
by Ray_moe / February 26, 2010 10:32 AM PST

Grif

Thanks for the info.

Followed your procedure and all .tmp files now deleted.

Left .chk files as is.

Thanks again

Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!