Computer Help forum

General discussion

Grif......In regards to IP Address & Hostname

by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 3:11 AM PST

Grif,

What do I do if I have given this information to someone to keep them from taking advantage. I have a dls connection. I am freaking out right now. Please, please help me!!!!

Thanks,
Myndie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Grif......In regards to IP Address & Hostname
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Grif......In regards to IP Address & Hostname
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Grif......In regards to IP Address & Hostname
by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 3:17 AM PST

FYI.......The person I gave this infomation to said that they needed it to "check speeds" for the information they were sending me, could that be the case??

Collapse -
Myndiemyn, Speeds For What?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 3:37 AM PST

If this person is simply sending you information, it can be done through e-mail, or Instant Messenger if you have it installed.

But, if this is a DSL repairman, and you have complaints about your connection, or the speed it's downloading files, or anything similar, then yes, they might need that information.

Once again, who is this person and do you trust them to do work on your computer?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Myndiemyn, There's No Need To Panic(Part 1)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 3:28 AM PST

First, please keep your responses in one thread. Don't create a new topic, simply click on the "Reply to this message" button and your response will listed in the same "thread".

Please give us a little more information about your computer. We need the operating system, processor speed, your antivirus program,(which type) whether you are using a firewall(if so, which one) and that type of thing. DON'T give us your IP address please.

Is this a "friend", a "repairman", or what? Just because someone has the information, they also need to have the skills and the access to your computer.

In the next part, I'll describe some steps so your not "sharing" you computer with the world.

Hope this helps and let us know.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Myndiemyn, There's No Need To Panic(Part 1)
by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 3:33 AM PST

Grif.........thank you so much for helping!!

HP Pavilion
Windows ME
AVG Virus Scan 6.0
667 intel celeron processor (not sure if this is what you meant by processor speed or not)
Don't think I have anykind of firewall unless it came with the computer, which I doubt.

The person that I gave it to, is someone I know, but not well enough to trust with this information now that I know what can be done with it. If you need any other info from me, please ask!! Thanks again!!

Collapse -
Myndiemyn, No Need To Panic (Part 2)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 3:32 AM PST

If you have a firewall installed, use it. It will help block the "ports" where these types of intrusions could occur.

First, if you aren't running on a LAN (network), then you don't need to have a network service called "File and Printer Sharing" installed. It allows the "hole" whereby files could be transferred to your computer. If you are not on a network, please uninstall "File and Printer Sharing" like this:

Windows 9.x/ME: Click on Start-Settings-Control Panel, double click on the "Network" icon. When that loads, on the "Configuration" tab, look in the white network components section and click once on the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" to highlight it, then click on the "Remove" button and follow the prompts to remove the service.

Windows 2000/XP: Click on Start-Settings-Control Panel, (or Start-Control Panel in XP), then double click on the "Networks and Dial Up Connections" icon, then find your type of connection type being used currently, either "Local Area Network" or "Dial-Up", then RIGHT click on it, choose "Properties". You should then be able to see the network components that are installed on the computer. If "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft networks" is listed, click once on it to highlight it, then click on the "remove" button. (Or simply UNCHECK it.)

If you are on a LAN and file sharing is required,(on Win95/98/ME computers) then double click on "My Computer" RIGHT click on the C drive, choose "Sharing" from the menu and type a password in the password lines. Click on Apply, then OK, etc. On Win2000/XP machines you will need to establish specific "permissions" (read only is best) for each shared drive/folder.

Collapse -
Re:Myndiemyn, No Need To Panic (Part 2)
by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 3:54 AM PST

Grif, first, there was no "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" under the configuration tab in the control panel, so I went to your lan instructions, did exactly as you said, and when I right clicked on the c drive on my computer, "sharing" was not an option in the menu. I know you told me not to panic, but it is kinda hard. HELP ME PLEASE, what do I do now?? Thanks agian for your help!!

Collapse -
Myndiemyn, It Sounds Like It's No So Bad
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 4:23 AM PST

If the "Sharing" option isn't there and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" isn't installed, then it will be extremely difficult for any outside individual to mess with your computer files by using a remote access approach.

At this point, there's not much else to do except monitor the computer, and monitor this "repair person" to see what happens next. Unless you trust the person, I wouldn't let them have physical access to the machine, but that is up to you. If you really feel like you need it, then you can choose to install a software firewall which will block the "incoming" attempts on the machine as well as inappropriate "outgoing" attempts by trojan software that might be installed on the machine. I happen to use a free one called ZoneAlarm, but there are quite a few good ones available. In addition, you might consider using a "router" with your DSL connection which can create a "hardware firewall". It's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Myndiemyn, It Sounds Like It's No So Bad
by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 4:40 AM PST

Hey Grif.....thank you so much. This person is not a repair person, it is just someone that I know that was giving advise and was going to send me some information. (movies, websites, ect.) This person does not have access to my house, but does work for COX and may know their way around a computer. Anyways, is what you are saying is if I download ZoneAlarm, I should feel secure that no one will be able to do anything to my computer from somewhere else and will not have access to any information on my computer? Also, will downloading ZoneAlarm affect my computer at all?? Again, thank you so much for all your help, and I am sure, kindness in dealing with my lack of knowledge in this area!!

Myndie

Collapse -
Myndiemyn, You Should Feel Fairly Secure Now
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 7:58 AM PST

Myndiemyn,

Installing a firewall IS NOT a cure to all evils. Much like other security systems, it is only another "tool" for protecting your computer. Even the best protected computers in the world can get "cracked" if someone really wants to. Since your computer doesn't have any "world shaking" information stored on it, there's probably not a major reason to exert much effort, but it's still a good idea to "secure" it as best as you can. Since your computer isn't "sharing" files, that's a good first step. A firewall WILL impact how the computer works and potentially could cause problems, much like any other program that's installed on your computer. It uses resources and uses your internet connection softare in ways that you need to be aware of. Still, in my experience, ZoneAlarm is one of the easiest firewalls to configure for the new user and many use it, including me. But, it is NOT foolproof and I don't use a software firewall on every computer I take care of. Some users find other firewalls to be better for their particular situation. Only you can determine what's best for your needs.

I suggest you do some research and reading about security and learn more about what can be done with computers. You've got a good start by visiting this site, but the Cnet forums also have a good Virus And Security Alert's forum. CLICK HERE to Visit the V&SA Forum

In addition, if you already don't have "Google" saved as a Favorite, I recommend it. It's a great search engine and you can find some excellent reviews and information about firewalls and any other subject you can name. Read and learn!

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Myndiemyn, You Should Feel Fairly Secure Now
by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 10:09 AM PST

Grif,

Again.......thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your help!! Your a pal!! Take care!!

Myndie

Collapse -
(NT) Myndie, You're Welcome & Glad It Helped !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 12:09 PM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.