Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Grif...I asked over in XP forum and can't figure this out

Where in XP can I reinstall Sound Recorder? It's not listed anymore in the Add\Remove Programs/Windows Components area like it used to be.

One of my daughter's SIL's has what I believe to be a corrupt SAPI component because when she opens Sound Recorder, the buttons are all missing to press to record, play, back, forward. She has the toolbar in the window, the sound display area, and the slider, but can't do anything else.

The mike is hooked up correctly and it works perfectly using the Sound/Audio/Test, but as soon as you close that window, the mike no longer works through the speakers and Sound Recorder is missing 'parts' of itself.

I've had her check in the Sound Properties to make sure that the mike is checked for both playback and recording (should I try unchecking it in playback?) and it's not muted. It has an on/off button on the mike and it's turned on or the TEST wouldn't have worked; it's also plugged into the sound card properly or it wouldn't have worked during the TEST either.

MSKB offers some solutions; however, the only one that seems to apply at this point is that the SAPI component is corrupt and says to install from the 'source cd'. I've uninstalled her on-board RealTek AC-97 components in Device Manager, rebooted, and XP detected and reinstalled everything and all sounds work correctly. Considering that Sound Recorder is actually a windows components, I figure the 'source' would be XP itself, but I'm stumped on where to find the component to reinstall it.

Can you shed some light here? W98SE was sooooo much easier to troubleshoot..........grrrrrrr

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Grif...I asked over in XP forum and can't figure this out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Grif...I asked over in XP forum and can't figure this out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toni, Because It's 'Hidden', Do It Like This...

In reply to: Grif...I asked over in XP forum and can't figure this out

First, do a search for a file named "sysoc.inf". It resides in the "C\Windows\INF" folder. Double click on the file to open it, (it should open in Notepad) then look to the middle of the text and find the line that says:
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7.

Edit the text so it reads like this. (Remove the HIDE):
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,,7

Save the changes by clicking on File in the upper left, choose "Save".

Now open the Control Panel-Add-Remove Programs section and click on the "Add/Remove Windows Components" button on the left side of the screen. When that opens, highlight the "Accessories and Utilities" listing, then click "Details" button. Now click on the "Multimedia" listing (which is what you just "un-hid"), then click on the "Details" button. You'll see the "Sound Recorder" option listed. If it's unchecked, place a check mark in it, click on OK, , Next, etc. and it should reinstall. If it happens to have a check mark in it, uncheck it, uninstall it, then reboot the computer, return to the same location and place a check mark back in it. You might need the XP CD to reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I knew about that file and

In reply to: Toni, Because It's 'Hidden', Do It Like This...

had completely forgotten about it......you are great. Thanks, Grif.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Toni, I'm Always Glad To Help

In reply to: I knew about that file and

Collapse -
Well, that didn't work on fixing it

In reply to: (NT) Toni, I'm Always Glad To Help

I had her uninstall the sound recorder and after rebooting, we weren't able to reinstall it because XP automatically did during the reboot. Still broken with no buttons showing up for the controls.

Then I had her uninstall Media Player and Sound Recorder from the components list, with exactly the same results. XP reinstalled both during the reboot automatically and the Sound Recorder still has no buttons.

I had her go to the windows update center and look for any media player updates, and there were none listed. The only items listed were SP/2 (which I didn't have her get yet) and Journal (which I also told her not to get yet).

I'm stumped with trying to figure out how to get sound recorder working here....it was working a little over a week ago when she went to use it. However, she DOES have her computer set for autoupdates from the update center and I don't know if one of those is what threw this thing out of whack since everything in Add\Remove Programs is a 'hotfix' and not always identifiable.

Anything in the registry for sound recorder that you can think of that I can have her change the entry/key info for? I'm going to check in mine for right now to see if there is anything there that jumps out at me, but if the volume number needs to be altered I'm not sure I would recognize that as an issue.

TONI

Collapse -
Try Freecorder?

In reply to: Well, that didn't work on fixing it

I don't use the old recorder. Look up FREECORDER on google.

Bob

Collapse -
Toni, It's Probably 'Windows File Protection

In reply to: Well, that didn't work on fixing it

..that is automatically replacing the SoundRecorder file. I've had that happen with uninstall of Windows Games on Win2000. Because it's in the System32 folder, Windows replaces the System file that's been removed. In that case, I was able to manually delete the .exe file while in "Safe Mode" and it should stay gone. The SoundRecorder file on this XP PRO machine is named "sndrec32.exe" and it resides in the Windows\System32 folder.

Try restarting in "Safe Mode", do a search for "sndrec32.exe" then delete the file from the System32 folder, then restart the machine. It should still appear uninstalled in the "Add\Remove Windows Components" section and you should be able to reinstall it.

Bob's suggestion of Freecorder is a good one as the Sound Recorder has a time limit on the amount in will record.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.