Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Grif, et al, Strange Things Happening Since

I downloaded Windows Scripting Engine and newest Java per your suggestion. See http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142_7-0.html?forumID=45&messageID=1347113&threadID=118079
I posted one problem re my photo program and it was not answered so I "bumped" it and still no reply.
I am now experiencing problems with this site. All my messages show "unread" and there is no longer any provision for "mark all messages read".
Also, Lee Koo's recent e-mail to the membership shows all red x's where pictures should appear.
I am also getting messages certain fonts are missing when I open some programs.

DC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Grif, et al, Strange Things Happening Since
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Grif, et al, Strange Things Happening Since
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The last post by you in that link

In reply to: Grif, et al, Strange Things Happening Since

Says that everything is OK. [answer to terse]????

Collapse -
At that point

In reply to: The last post by you in that link

I was referring to my original problem in that "terse" post.
Sometimes these threads get confusing and there are conflicting instructions on their "proper" use.
One person will say stay with the thread regardless and another will contradict that.
Others get chastised for be to wordy and while others are accused of being too terse.
My current problems are noted in my post above.

DC

Collapse -
OK, good that you clarified.

In reply to: At that point

Yes some threads diverge wildly.

Collapse -
Just a comment.

In reply to: Grif, et al, Strange Things Happening Since

Not to long ago...a few days/a week I came into the forums and all threads/messages showed unread.

Why?..I have no idea.

I can tell you I have not loaded any new script engine or new java.

New threads/messages (since the time they all showed unread) seem to display in a proper fashion.....ie read/unread.

I have not gone backwards in time to see if all the old threads/messages still show unread.

Collapse -
Glitch in the server...

In reply to: Just a comment.

Unfortunately that was a problem experienced on Cnet's end and felt by all users, not just you. Around 7:00am (Pacific time) on July 30th, a glitch occurred in the Cnet servers, causing all posts to become marked as unread. About two hours later the problem was corrected, restoring the previous data concerning read and unread posts. click here to see the thread discussing the problem. To my knowledge it hasn't happened since, although a few other glitches have been incurred. Fortunately the tech department has resolved all such glitches in a timely manner.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
That Certainly Answers That Part Of The Problem But

In reply to: Glitch in the server...

I am still experiencing the original problem, to wit: "I downloaded Windows Scripting Engine and newest Java per your suggestion. See http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142_7-0.html?forumID=45&messageID=1347113&threadID=118079
I posted one problem re my photo program and it was not answered so I "bumped" it and still no reply."
I also mentioned another problem, to wit: "I am also getting messages certain fonts are missing when I open some programs." This one has had no reply either.
Neither of these problems existed prior to downloading Windows Scripting Engine and the latest Java.
Maybe I should start all over again with a new post.
Any suggestions?

DC

Collapse -
DC, It Sure Is Strange...

In reply to: That Certainly Answers That Part Of The Problem But

I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing the problem like you are...Although there have been a few server glitches as mentioned previously, those are only temporary issues.

I can't remember...have you tried multiple browsers to see if the issue occurs in all of them? Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc.?

Unfortunately, you haven't been receiving many responses because the fix may not be apparent for the members..Because you're also getting "Red X's", have you tried using the fixes mentioned in the thread below? They may all be linked to the same general problem.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=49799&messageID=592521

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, et al,My Red X Problem Solved

In reply to: DC, It Sure Is Strange...

I found the solution.
First, I ascertained it was only happening in Outlook Express. I then opened OE, selected ''tools'' then ''options'' then the ''security'' tab. In the ''Download Images'' section I noted there was a check mark in the box next to ''Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail''. I unchecked that box and that was it. Now when I get those periodic e-mails from cnet I will be able to see Lee's smiling face.
Now my final, I hope, question on this subject. By leaving that box unchecked am I creating a security risk?
Grif, I did read all of the references you supplied and tried them all. I guess I could have saved you and others a lot of time if I had mentioned it was only a problem in OE. I am sorry I wasted folks time.
I still have the problems I mentioned after downloading Windows Scripting Engine and newest Java. However, it is not creating any hardship and I feel I have had more than my share out of this forum so I will give it a rest. If I don't get it solved I will revisit it here at a later date.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help I get from all of you. I don't have the luxury of an available guru so this forum has filled that role very nicely.

DC

Collapse -
DC, Well...Yes It DOES Increase The Security Risk...

In reply to: Grif, et al,My Red X Problem Solved

There are quite a few viruses that have the ability to "execute" using that "external content" mentioned in the CHECK box...Simply viewing the message will cause the malware to run. Although pictures and ActiveX items can be nice attributes to nifty looking e-mail messages, they also create a vulnerability. If you want to be safer, set Outlook Express to read messages in "text only". (Open OE, click on "Tools", choose "Options", select the "Read" tab, then place a CHECK mark in the "Read all messages in plain text", click on "Apply", then OK.) With the setting above, all pictures will be included as attachments which must be opening separately.

Unfortunately, it won't be a "pretty" as the HTML. So...you get to make a choice..."Security" or "ease of use". It's up to you.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif, I Like

In reply to: DC, Well...Yes It DOES Increase The Security Risk...

"Security" better than "ease of use" or "pretty".

DC

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.