Samsung forum

General discussion

Green screen...40a630 lcd

by bfat6565 / February 9, 2009 6:14 AM PST

This issue started this past Friday, 2/6/09. I purchased the unit in December and just got my satellite upgrade on the last Friday in January (now using a HR21 DVR receiver). My issue sounds similar to some others that I have ready about, but not necessarily on the same model number.

Essentially, at random times while watching the satellite receiver through the TV, the screen goes to this distorted green image with lots of lines and squares all over it. It is not a solid green color, as it looks like it is trying to display images, but in a very distorted manner with different shades of green. The problem is fixed by powering down, and then back up. Once the issue occurs, I can use the remote to switch inputs, but the green screen remains until powering down.

I have not been able to get the issue to occur while using other devices (dvd, receiver, old sat box for over a month prior to new box).

I have been able to get the issue to occur while using both hdmi ports, two different hdmi cords (one a monster cord), and also a component (Red,Blue,Green) input.

My guess is this is what people are referring to as a "handshake" issue with the sat box, as it seems to be only occurring with that device, though it occurs with the different types of ports and not just hdmi. I am concerned with trying to schedule a service call, as I can't make the issue occur on demand, but rather have to wait for it to happen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Green screen...40a630 lcd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Green screen...40a630 lcd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Isolated
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 9, 2009 6:44 AM PST

bfat6565,

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues.

It does seem to be restricted to the box, based on your description above. However, something to consider is that digital inputs like HDMI have a handshake issue; analog connections such as RGB (component) do not require a handshake. The fact that both caused the same issue causes me to lean towards something in the box itself and not a connection issue with the television.

That said, both do have some form of HDCP on them, and when copy protection software in the box is notified that there might be an inconsistency or incompatibility with the signal's destination, it may cause the picture to scramble. The green may be an issue of scrambling (regardless of how poor of a job the scramble is).

It may be a simple box reset that you can request be done locally - some boxes have that ability, but if it's just a phone call for a fix, it may be worth it.

When the green picture comes on, does it stick around indefinitely? Or will it self correct at some point? If it does stick around, I'd try to show the tech - or maybe have some digital pictures or video to show the technician when he comes.

So that's my insight, but I'm here all the time. So if you have any updates, keep me posted. But initially, I'm leaning towards the box. And I'm not just saying that because we make the TVs. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
Green screen...continued
by bfat6565 / February 10, 2009 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: Isolated

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the HDCP protection with the box company to see if I can find out something on that end.

Also, I did try to restart the sat box when it first occurred and that obviously did not do anything.

Additionally, last night I went home and watched TV through the hdmi port for a good hour before anything happened. Then the green screen occurred again, I switched to component input and it happened again, then I switched back and watched the rest of the night on hdmi without a problem. Its very odd how it is occurring randomly with either type of input and sometimes happens again quickly and other times not at all. I did take a picture and a small video clip as I wanted to post one or the other on here to show you, but I cannot through the posting interface.

Anyway, I will let you know if I make headway with the satellite box people, but I am expecting them to tell me that it's the TV.

Thanks
Brian

Collapse -
Component?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 12:41 PM PST

bfat6565,

Based on the fact that it happens with component, I'm actually leaning towards the television then. If it's not a handshake issue, then I don't know what is causing that.

I thought it was just happening on HDMI only.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I thought your original note said...
by bfat6565 / February 11, 2009 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Component?

that it could be related to HDCP issues with the box? Is that the case or do you feel that there could be an issue with the set.

Again,this is only triggered by watching tv through the sat box. When I am using the DVD player, or when I used the old sat box (which could only be connected with RCA cables), I haven't seen the issue occur.

It does occur with the new sat box (HR21) using both the HDMI (either port) and RGB inputs. It occurs at random times on seemingly any channel and is only corrected by powering down the unit and turning it back on. If there is a way that I can show you a picture of what the screen looks like, I do have one available. It looks kind of like snow but with varied amounts of green tint, and patterns that look like watching a scrambled signal on an old cable box (kind of off center, and you can tell when the picture changes).

Collapse -
It's the TV
by bfat6565 / February 11, 2009 9:40 AM PST

OK, I hadn't had the issue occur while watching the DVD player until this evening. I also checked the antenna feed that I have hooked in through the coaxial input and it went out as well. The issue now happens at random intervals while watching any device through any port. This must be an issue with the TV.

Please tell me if you think I this is covered by the warranty. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Yes...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 12, 2009 1:06 PM PST
In reply to: It's the TV

If it's all inputs, then it's my best guess that it is the television.

These issues are precisely what that warranty is for.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks and a little further info for your reference...
by bfat6565 / February 13, 2009 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Yes...

Thanks again for your assistance. I am currently scheduling a service call to have the set looked at.

Just to give some further description of the issue in case you or any reader of this post come across a problem like this again, I have nailed down some further details. The set will work normally for the first hour after powering up. After that initial hour or so, the green screen issue occurs and will continue to occur for the next 15-30 mins. During this half hour or so period the issue is exactly as described in my previous posts. After this period, the TV works normal again for the remainder of my viewing.

Anyway, I am hopeful that the service call will go smoothly and I can continue to enjoy this TV with it functioning properly again.

Thanks
Brian

Collapse -
update...
by bfat6565 / March 4, 2009 6:11 AM PST

After a few rescheduled appointments and waiting for 3 weeks, the Samsung repair guy finally came out to fix the TV. The reason for the delay was apparently that the part he needed was back-ordered. This part was apparently a video board or something and after replacing it, the set seemed to be fine. That is until about 15 mins after he left when the issue occurred again. I immediately called him back as he instructed if the part didnt fix the issue, and he stated that there is one other part that he can replace, which will take another week or so to get in.

I have been extremely patient throughout this process, but if this next part and service visit doesnt solve the issue, I will then be compelled to look for Samsung to replace my set.

Collapse -
Box vs. TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 12, 2009 10:46 AM PST

bfat6565,

Most of the issues that happen with boxes are limited to HDMI, and not component. When you said you have Component cables hooked up and still got the same affect, that new information didn't exclude the television, so I wanted you to know that it was still a possibility.

If it's ONLY happening with one box, then it's likely either the box, or an incompatibility between the box and the television (which we can correct, with firmware for instance). However, if the DVD player and an older box works, then it's likely the new box.

I think I'm picturing the issue you're seeing on the screen, and it sounds like a transmission issue where the data is being interrupted momentarily.

Don't mean to steer in circles here, but if it happens on the other sources (DVD player, etc), then yes, definitely have the television serviced for that issue.

Does that help explain a little better?

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?