Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Green light, says "connected" but endlessly hanging...

I had been picking up an unsecured local wireless network on my Macbook Pro, with no connectivity problems at all. Then I got my desktop G5 going and installed a wireless card to also pick up the signal. For several weeks I was able to connect with both computers with no issues.

Then suddenly a couple days ago, the browser would just hang endlessly searching to connect. On my laptop the signal was noted as strong, and connected. On the G5, the wireless card utility confirmed a strong connection, everything was green light. Still though, on not machines now it just hangs and does not actually receive a web site data.

Why would both machines indicate and confirm a strong connection but in fact it is not connecting? I don't know how to troubleshoot this. The Mac OSX network utility is useless.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can also provide more detailed information if necessary. Thanks!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Green light, says "connected" but endlessly hanging...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Green light, says "connected" but endlessly hanging...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You said it was an unsecured network

In reply to: Green light, says "connected" but endlessly hanging...

Was it your own or just a discovery? If it's just one you tripped on, I'm going to guess that the owner of the AP or router got smart and secured it. You'd get the signal just fine but, without the security code, you're done for.

Collapse -
Other possibilities

In reply to: You said it was an unsecured network

You can be connected to the router or AP but, if it's not connected to an ISP for some reason, neither are you. As well, the owner could have how IP addressing is done. You can check your network settings and then use ipconfig to see if your address is proper.

It may not be my place to judge but something about using a neighbor's service without permission....even if they left it it wide open....isn't a good idea.

Collapse -
I know why.

In reply to: Green light, says "connected" but endlessly hanging...

"unsecured" and please KEEP READING!!

There are kids out there that would use SMAC (see google) to change their MAC (not Mac) to get a free ride on a network. Once this happens your legitimate machine may see good signal but never connect.

Fix? Go to WPA. Sorry but this issue is well known so please research it more if my short explanation didn't do it for you.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: I know why.

I really have no idea how to address this. As usual with internet technology there seems to be an infinite variety of possible causes and workarounds. I don't have the time to necessarily troubleshot exhaustively, especially since I am a novice techie.

I did use the Networking system preference from Mac OS10, there are numerous different tabs with all kinds of jibberish about routers and IP addresses (I know the basics but tis is way beyond that), subnet Masks, configuring manually v. auto, pinging, who knows what else.

By the way, EVERYONE poaches when a free network is available. It may be annoying to the subscriber, but as soon as they are a free beneficiary, it doesn't seem to matter.

I think it would be easier to just order my own service, because it doesn't seem to be a straightforward solution.

Collapse -
That's usually why people buy their own.

In reply to: reply

The moochers have ways to make life difficult for the less savvy moochers. (no offense intended) So armed with SMAC and other tools I never tell about in an open forum the ones that try to use open connections eventually give up and get their own.

Again, I can't rewrite to avoid hurt feelings but hope to shine a little light that nothing is busted here.
Bob

Collapse -
Everyone poaches????

In reply to: reply

Maybe many do... but certainly not everyone. Theft is theft. If someone leaves their car window open and their wallet on the seat, that's stupid. But, it doesn't make anyone who reaches in and takes it any less a criminal. I'm personally very regretful that so many folks think that whatever is left unprotected is fair game....and even more regretful that some folks have the nerve to ask for help in doing so. Sad

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.