Samsung forum

General discussion

Green colours when TV connected to laptop

by DragonBobZ / December 27, 2009 5:12 AM PST

Hello there!
I have just recently purchased a Samsung Series 3 (LE26B350F1W) HD ready LCD TV set.
I tried to connect it to my laptop using a VGA cable and there appeared to be a problem - I got the image from my laptop displayed on the TV screen but the colours were all messed up. Instead of having a colour picture, everything was black and green. I tried with different options and colour settings but nothing seemed to help. So I decided to try and connect my father's laptop to see if the problem would exist there. Oddly enough, it didn't - the image was in full colour, it only did notstretch at full screen. So I am wondering why did it work (well, partially) on my father's Dell laptop but not on my Acer Travelmate 5510(AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 1.90 Ghz, ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 128MB)?
I am using Windows 7, whereas my dad's laptop is running on XP if that
makes any difference.
I am a bit at a loss of what to do, so I would really appreciate it if
you could give me some guidelines.
Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Green colours when TV connected to laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Green colours when TV connected to laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problem still persists
by DragonBobZ / December 27, 2009 6:12 PM PST

Anyone? Sad

Collapse -
From green to black...
by DragonBobZ / December 28, 2009 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Problem still persists

Things appear to have worsen now. I tried reinstalling my video card driver, as I thought it might be the source of the problem rather than the TV itself, but when I tried to connect it again afterwards, there was only a black screen or a "Mode not supported" message. I am really confused now. Why should it be so hard to set up an external display?
I'm going to try with my dad's laptop again tomorrow after work, but still... unfortunately, I don't have another cable I could try.

If anybody has any ideas, I would be very happy to read them.

Collapse -
From green to black...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2009 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: From green to black...

DragonBobZ,

Mode Not Supported usually indicates that the resolution coming from the computer is not supported, and the supported resolutions are listed in the manual.

The aspect ratio may not perfectly fit, depending on what options are available on the software drivers.

If the colors aren't right, it's likely a driver issue or a cable issue. That's the best I can troubleshoot from here.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?