Computer Help forum

General discussion

Great performance loss - Loose chips?

by throstur / January 20, 2006 7:27 PM PST

I am experiencing extreme performance lost, sometimes after startup, the first opening of a program (such as firefox) will take up to 5 minutes, and sometimes nothing opens untill I try and open it again, in which case two open. I am running a Windows XP (Dell Dimension 2300) with an intel inside celeron 1.69 gHZ, Ram 255MB and ~37.5 HDD.

I have previously experienced a loose chip problem, the sound-card had been minorly displaced.

I need to know what I can do to fix this problem and how I should attempt to re-insert the chips.

PLEASE: Do not answer really long answers, because I am a pretty slow reader, and I dont want to be stuck on this problem for 3 simultaneous days. No more than 1 page please, less if possible. (1 page refers to 1 page on a 19" LCD OR a 21" CRT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Great performance loss - Loose chips?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Great performance loss - Loose chips?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't mention. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 20, 2006 9:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Running F-Secure
by throstur / January 21, 2006 4:20 AM PST

I am running F-Secure which is told to be a very riliable AV client, and it has no detected viruses. I must admit, that in the past I have had to deal with ALOT of viruses.

Collapse -
problems removing F-Secure
by lbaskerville / January 27, 2006 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: Running F-Secure

I am unable to figure out how to completely remove F-Secure 2006. I had downloaded it but it couldn't eradicate the viruses I was infected with. I have since purchased Norton Anti-Virus and am now believe I am virus free. The add/remove programs doesn't list the program, though its folder shows up in my file programs directory tree. I tried a simple delete from the directory tree but was informed that I had to delete it through add/remove programs! Its icon shows up on my system tray, and symantec says I am at risk because my F-Secure program is unloaded. Any ideas on how to go about removing the program? Thanks. - L

Collapse -
Processes - To remove FSecure
by throstur / January 27, 2006 3:35 AM PST

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL and delete all processes thats start with F ( at least most of them, you should recognise them )

Collapse -
Look Elsewhere
by joe_smith / January 20, 2006 10:26 PM PST

If you had some sort of a loose chip in your system, it would cause far more serious problems then slow performance.

Collapse -
Examples?
by throstur / January 21, 2006 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Look Elsewhere

I am having alot of problems, many forgotten, please mention what could happen if chips were slightly loose.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The system wouldn't boot
by joe_smith / January 21, 2006 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Examples?
Collapse -
What if...
by throstur / January 21, 2006 5:51 AM PST

One of the chips is so vaguely loose that it's only just losing a bit of circulatory ability?

Collapse -
Are you aware that viri
by Ray Harinec / January 27, 2006 7:16 AM PST

are only one of the many things that infect/slow down computers. There are Trojans, spyware, malwareetc. No single type of protective software works against all types. Thinking that having an antivirus program only, will protect you is foolhardy.

Go to the virus forums and one some of the scans suggested to detect all types of malware and then download and install some of the software protection that they recco.

Be aware that many malware items strart by disabling your anti-virus, that's why it is often necessary to download a scan to run.

Of all the things likely to be causing your problems I would give "loose chips" a minus 5. The majority of "chips" are soldered into the mobo or other circuit boards.

Collapse -
Anti Virus
by throstur / January 27, 2006 6:47 PM PST

F-Secure uninstalls any previous anti-malware products and it definately does something, taking around 70% of CPU since I installed it 20 days ago. The computer was still just as slow beforehand.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.