Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Great news for some of us old folks

by Steven Haninger / January 14, 2009 8:38 AM PST
Vinyl lives

Finally something useful to plug into your PC and break out those good old scratchy platters. Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Great news for some of us old folks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Great news for some of us old folks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for the link.
by drpruner / January 14, 2009 10:05 AM PST

The devices have been out for about a year, and will be my next purchase, since my wife is beginning to complain about the space taken up by the albums.

A caveat about the site: I'm not sure those are the folks to buy from, although they have useful info about available makes and models. They misspelled "Garrard", the reviews I read are short on grammar and style, and 'they never met a product they didn't like if they could sell it.'
Examples from this one, for instance,
http://www.usbturntables.net/recordable-usb-sd.html
"I was searching for a similar product like this and considering my budget this product is value for money. The installation is simple and even though you still have a problem there are installation videos on the net would solve your problem." (Sic, sic, sic)
One of the features NOT mentioned for this wonderful product- probably because it's lacking- is a basic pop filter. That's available on several of these "one-touch" devices even at the lower levels, and on all recording software. (It's not difficult to hook up a turntable you might already have.)

I didn't find any recognition there of MP3 as a less-than-high fidelity encoding system, and the TT may not compare in quality to pre-computing stuff. In my case, I've found that an MP3 song on decent computer speakers is adequate for this old man's hearing, so I'm going to make the move.

Collapse -
I noticed something that ....
by Angeline Booher / January 15, 2009 2:18 AM PST

...... looked a little scary under the "o not buy a USB Turntable" link.

From what I could tell, one also needs a new sound card at $100, for instance.

I thought it would be a good thing because I have a lot of vinyl, and this would be an easy way to put it on my computer, then onto CDs or DVDs.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
And years from now someone will be inventing a
by Steven Haninger / January 15, 2009 7:52 AM PST

new device that can record your old CDs to some other media.

Collapse -
That's one advantage of using software
by drpruner / January 15, 2009 2:07 PM PST

you may already have for recording.
Your existing TT plugs into your existing Hi-fi amplifier, which has an AUX OUT or REC OUT jack. With an adapter cable, Radio Shack type, you connect to the REC IN of your computer. Almost all PCs have some sort of sound card inside, which has good fidelity but no significant speaker power. That doesn't matter at this point, because you need only the low levels needed to drive the CD recorder.
Then, back in the living room, you play the new CD on the hotshot Hi-fi system ...

Collapse -
Not sure what I have,
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2009 2:53 AM PST

I do have a small stereo that plays vinyl LPs and 45s. and has a tape recorder, In and out jacks.

I'd have to ask and Apple person if I have that In jack. I have a program called "garage Band" that lets the user do all sorts of wonderful things, like compose music, do instrumentals, etc. that I will never do.

I bought a VHS/DVD recorder about 2 years ago with plans to transfer favorite VHS tapes to DVDs.

I haven't done any at all. Sad

I suspect I would get involved if I were younger.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
The tape jacks are so-called
by drpruner / January 16, 2009 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure what I have,

high-impedance connections, like the audio-in on your computer. The only low-impedance left these days is the output of a quality TT and the corresponding phono-in on the amplifier. If your amp allows you to play vinyl then the tape-out is the connection to make with your PC. Mis-matched impedances will work, but at reduced fidelity and maybe some other problems.

Collapse -
What d'ya know!
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2009 11:32 PM PST

I just looked in the little manual that came with my machine, and found a pic of the back.

Among several others, I have an audio/optical digital audio in port and a headphone out/optical digital audio out port.

So it looks like I'm good to go in that respect.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Useta be
by drpruner / January 17, 2009 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: What d'ya know!

that a headphone port was low impedance, but the "optical digital" means CD player output, which s/b high impedance. I'm guessing the "headphones" are new-fangled high impedance types, so that would be the one to plug into your PC to record stuff. IOW if you can play vinyl, then that audio will probably appear at any "... out" jack while you're listening on the speakers. You'll know soon enough if that's not the case.

Collapse -
I thought she meant
by Dan McC / January 21, 2009 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Useta be

that those were the connections on her Mac, not her sound system.

Dan

Collapse -
Could be. That would explain part of it.
by drpruner / January 22, 2009 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: I thought she meant

But headphones themselves are just small speakers, which are low-impedance. (Anywhere from 4 to 50 ohms; high-impedance connections are typically 50 K ohms.) That's why I don't understand combining them.

Collapse -
(NT) Dan was correct. On my Mac.
by Angeline Booher / January 22, 2009 11:04 PM PST
Collapse -
OK. In any case, the check is low-tech.
by drpruner / January 23, 2009 1:30 AM PST

Have a friend with younger ears listen to the first recording; if the sound is noticeably distorted, then try another connection. If it's OK then ignore the poster behind the curtain. Happy

Collapse -
I forget which newscast
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2009 2:42 AM PST

...... where I heard this yesterday, but the teaser was , "Vinyl's coming back!"

In a store in a major city that carries vinyl albums, sales are brisk and steadily increasing.

Interviews with some customers elicited such comments as, "hearing the soft scratches of an LP is comforting." Others opied that the sound was better on an LP, and given a choice which to buy, choose vinyl over CD,

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Angeline! Wait! Got just the thing for you.
by drpruner / January 16, 2009 10:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Too late, but thanks for trying!
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2009 11:17 PM PST

I just ordered delivery on one of those "autos" that can fly.

Coupled with the purchase of controlling shares in Lucasfilms, I find myself a bit short ay the moment.

Thanks, anyway. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) There's a guy in D.C. who may be able to help ...
by drpruner / January 17, 2009 5:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Steve, finally an all in one site. My wife gave me
by Ziks511 / January 20, 2009 3:49 AM PST

an RCA to USB interface about 5 years ago which in the absence of a turntable at the time was less than useful, but this looks much better. I like the look of the software available with some of them like the Numark ?Audiology? or something like that that can get rid of pops and clicks. No matter how carefully I took care of my records, I am at heart, a clumsy guy.

I did however figure out what those pen tip sized beige things that caused your record to skip or pop. They're from breathing out through your nose. Yep, one of the dangers to vinyl is snot, particularly if you try to wipe it away with a cloth, which can just drive it into the groove.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.