Computer Help forum

General discussion

great computer hates screensavers

by jco / September 17, 2006 5:30 AM PDT

Dell Dimension 8200, 512 Mg RAM, Intel Pentium 4 (2000Mhz), 1702FP monitor, Brother MFC-420cn, running MS XP SP2 (all patches and updates in place), AVG Professional (all updates in place), Spybot S&D and CCleaner, both fully updated. NVIDIA drivers are the latest available. BIOS has never been updated, because I'm scared to do that. The system is four years old.

This has been an A#1 system -- with one oddity, right from get-go: It hates screensavers. I've tried a variety of same, always with the same or similar result: Sooner or later, the computer, monitor and/or some portion of one or both, seems to "reject" the screensaver. 1) The monitor will suddenly go to black; 2) a picture (as in "My Slideshow") will freeze on the screen; 3) a picture will freeze in the middle of a transition.

In all cases, there is no response from moving the mouse, tapping the spacebar, doing "control/shift/escape" or "control/shift/delete," and our only choice is a hard shutdown.

Screensavers are no big deal to me, and from what I've read on the internet, they're not considered a necessity anymore to prevent burn-in. That's why I've never posted this question before -- but now, for some reason, I felt that I should.

The power scheme is set to Never/Never/Never. Our system never liked the other options, either. Again, I figured it was no big deal. I log off and shut down every day -- oh, and I also turn off and unplug if there are storms in the area.

Can't think of anything else right now. Thanks for any help -- and, as always, for past help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: great computer hates screensavers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: great computer hates screensavers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
great computer hates screensavers
by Bob__B / September 17, 2006 7:57 AM PDT

I have a machine that's a few years older than yours.

It would never run things like PM or screen savers.

I could activate these features and for a few days it worked fine and then it would hang or do some other odd thing.

I chased it around through bios updates, mobo drivers, vid drivers...nope.

I finally said nuts, I don't need this nonsense and turned the whole mess off....the machine runs fine.

I suppose you could try a bios update but if your only issue is screen savers, I would 'not' go there.

Collapse -
Sounds like a plan...
by jco / September 17, 2006 8:55 AM PDT

Thank-you, Bob B. I've had no problems other than the screensaver thing, and I'm not eager to try a BIOS upgrade.Since I now know someone else who has the same problem with another well working system, maybe I can stop wondering if the prob is a sign of something worse. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!