Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Great BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

by critic411 / December 8, 2008 10:24 PM PST

Reports that Illinois Gov (Blago) was taken into custody this morning !!!!!!!

WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for details !!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Great BREAKING NEWS!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Great BREAKING NEWS!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is there corruption in Illinois politics?
by EdHannigan / December 8, 2008 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Link

Who knew? I don't suppose any former State Senators are tainted in any way.

Collapse -
It was reported that Blago
by critic411 / December 8, 2008 11:02 PM PST

knew who someONE wanted to be replaced with, but Blago said "@@^%!$#@" him if all I get is appreciation !!!

This will be great !!

Collapse -
RE: him if all I get is appreciation !!!
by JP Bill / December 8, 2008 11:11 PM PST

GUILTY!

That's a bribe if I ever hear one.

Collapse -
Corruption in Illinois??
by critic411 / December 8, 2008 11:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Even harder to believe....
by caktus / December 9, 2008 2:19 AM PST

Corruption in politics? Silly

Collapse -
with super low approval ratings and strong ties to the union
by shawnlin / December 8, 2008 11:27 PM PST

with super low approval ratings and strong ties to the union...I can't say I'm surprised at this... Glad P. Fitzgerald is on the case.

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
Some added news
by James Denison / December 9, 2008 5:16 AM PST

The paper itself is filing for bankruptcy. Chicago Tribune and L. A. Times both are bankrupt. I guess those "chickens have come home to roost" after their glowing endorsement of Obama, LOL!! cluck, cluck! Wink
http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=10340

Collapse -
If the papers
by JP Bill / December 9, 2008 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Some added news

are in Obamas pocket...he'll save them.

or perhaps the money Bush has doled out will save them.

Collapse -
pdf of the indictment
by James Denison / December 9, 2008 5:42 AM PST
Collapse -
The Tribune Company is bankrupt.
by drpruner / December 9, 2008 12:48 PM PST

Business at the papers continues for the time being.
This was long expected, as a casualty of cable TV and now the Internet. Just the first such, they say.

You're still free to hate pro-Obama papers. Pete Zenger says so.
But, "accuracy, accuracy, accuracy."

Collapse -
you're assigning cause.
by James Denison / December 9, 2008 6:57 PM PST

I didn't. Just stated what's happening. Yes, it's been a process, but I can't help seeing it's culmination at this time as insignificant. Surprisingly, Sam Zell is NOT an Obama supporter, which shows even if you own it, you may not always have total control over it.

Collapse -
RE: I didn't.
by JP Bill / December 9, 2008 8:30 PM PST

Did to.

you're assigning cause. - New!
by James Denison - 12/10/08 2:57 AM In reply to: The Tribune Company is bankrupt. by drpruner

I didn't

I guess those "chickens have come home to roost" after their glowing endorsement of Obama,

Collapse -
"after"
by James Denison / December 9, 2008 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: RE: I didn't.

is not the same as "because of". It's called English.

Collapse -
it also happened "after"
by JP Bill / December 9, 2008 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: "after"

the moon, Jupiter and Venus had a Celestial summit meeting.

But you didn't mention that.

Collapse -
I agree with your reading.
by Kees Bakker / December 9, 2008 9:38 PM PST

This 'after' certainly suggests a causal relation.

Kees

Collapse -
IF it wasn't "because of" according to James
by JP Bill / December 9, 2008 9:58 PM PST

Perhaps James will tell us what it was "because of", and the "after affects", between the newspapers going bankrupt and their endorsement of Obama.

Why did he even mention Obama?

Collapse -
There you go again.
by James Denison / December 10, 2008 2:39 AM PST

Like I said, it's English. Learn it.

There is on such thing as "after affects". When it's already "after" something was "affected" it becomes an "effect". Obama is just a point in time of a long history with the newspaper, but it's the most major last story they covered prior to the bankruptcy filing, maybe more of a casual relationship.

Collapse -
He fell to the ground
by JP Bill / December 9, 2008 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: "after"

"after" I hit him on the head with a metal pipe.

Collapse -
difference
by James Denison / December 10, 2008 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: He fell to the ground

if phrased the same it would instead say, "He fell to the ground after he was hit on the head". See, that indicates a point in time.

Collapse -
RE: See, that indicates a point in time.
by JP Bill / December 10, 2008 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: difference

But NOT why he fell?

I hope you're not a detective.

Collapse -
Zell and the Chicago Tribune
by James Denison / December 10, 2008 2:57 AM PST

Prophecy by Schneider fullfilled. Zell stole the paper, got the employees to buy it for him, then ripped it off and now all of it's gone, including the billions from the employees pension funds. Welcome to the wonderful world of corporate raiders. Oh, Sam's tossing the dead body into the bankruptcy courts now, so there's that at least.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9293474
April 2, 2007

Collapse -
Sorry I started all this. Here's the only point
by drpruner / December 12, 2008 9:24 PM PST

I was interested in, myself:
"This was long expected, as a casualty of cable TV and now the Internet. Just the first such, they say."

Collapse -
For instance,
by drpruner / December 16, 2008 4:42 PM PST
This just in!
Detroit Papers Slash Home Delivery
"9% Of Workforce To Be Cut
DETROIT -- Beset by falling revenue, Detroit's newspapers announced Tuesday that they plan to offer only three days of home delivery and will push their online editions instead, making the city the largest in the nation to have its daily papers undergo such a makeover..."

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18288845/detail.html
Collapse -
as a former paper boy
by James Denison / December 17, 2008 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: For instance,

for the Tampa Tribune many moons ago (and delivery was often by the moon in early morning hours) there's a sense of melancholy in seeing a part of Americana begin to fade away, like the newspapers. I really think they could have a market, be profitable, if they'd become more selective in content and delivery. Make the paper more upbeat, lose some of the cynicism, report news and leave editorializing on the back of the A section where it belongs. Drop a lot of the political social issues which are often from malcontented marginal groups and instead concentrate on the local social scene, preferably all the happier events always going on in an area. Happy news, good news, can be news, and can sell. Quit trying to compete with the TV news for national news coverage, that was lost years ago, there's no way a newspaper can ever be more timely than TV, or the internet news sources. Realize that and adjust to report things that often doesn't make the evening TV news, do more in depth stories on local matters, help citizens in that locality feel a stronger connection to the area, feel like they know more of what's going on, like they are part of a community. I suspect most small town newspapers are doing about the same as before because they long ago started concentrating mostly on local stories and issues and left the state and national stories to other media. Lower the days of circulation. My local paper is printed twice a week, some areas such as cities might do better with 4 per week. Don't cram everything in the Sunday edition, spread it around.

Collapse -
Bottom line is,
by critic411 / December 17, 2008 7:49 PM PST
In reply to: as a former paper boy

make a product people are willing to pay for.

Collapse -
(NT) ... at any given moment in history.
by drpruner / December 19, 2008 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: Bottom line is,
Collapse -
Good ideas, many of which have been tried.
by drpruner / December 19, 2008 10:15 PM PST

'Spreading around Sunday' doesn't work in many cases because the readers need certain things time-sensitive. They're keeping Thursday and Friday e.g. because that's when Mom looks for sales for weekend shopping. But no more- now she has 3G Blackeberry with coupons delivered to her inbox.

Collapse -
Detroit paper has finally seen the light
by James Denison / December 21, 2008 10:40 PM PST

Who would expect it to happen there first? Not that they are the first to provide online news site, but because they've realized the cost of paper printing needs to be cut back and are working on a solution to provide what's needed in paper print balanced against what can be provided better online. Newspapers really started facing their demise back when radio was invented, but because radio and even TV was so linear in it's new presentation, and the hearer stuck both with what interested him and didn't, newspapers managed to survive. Online news however gives the reader the same advantages now of reading ONLY the news he's interested in while pass over the stories he'd rather than spend the time on. That's something TV and radio can't offer, yet. The natural progression for newspapers is online reporting because the format of news presentation is almost the same, just not on paper, and the readers who liked being able to quickly flip newspaper pages to find what they wanted and ignore the rest can still do that.

Collapse -
Detroit newspaper is following my advice.
by James Denison / December 21, 2008 10:34 PM PST

Or someone with the same advice. Wink

What I said, "Lower the days of circulation. My local paper is printed twice a week, some areas such as cities might do better with 4 per week. Don't cram everything in the Sunday edition, spread it around."

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/16/news/companies/detroit_newspapers/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

"The Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News will become the first major metropolitan newspapers in the United States to end daily home delivery, the papers announced Tuesday.

"We're fighting for our survival," said David Hunke, publisher of the Free Press and CEO of the Detroit Media Partnership, a joint operating agreement between the two papers. "We think its time to take a geometric leap forward in what we've known as newspapers."

Beginning sometime in the first three months of 2009, the two newspapers will provide home delivery on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays only, Hunke said in a news conference in Detroit, Mich. Papers will be on newsstands every day, and the papers' online offerings will be expanded, he said."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?