TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Great article on Pioneer 5080HD

by kcfvegas / June 16, 2007 3:43 PM PDT

For anyone that is interested, I ran across this article on the Pioneer PDP-5080HD, and the other new Pioneer plasmas.
They did a full side by side comparison with the Panny TH50PZ700U, the Samsung HT-P5054, the Sony KDL46XBR3, and the Sharp LC46D92U. For those of you that were wondering weather you should wait for 1080p, the answer according to this is no. The 5080 had a better picture than the 1080p sets. Is it worth the extra money, from what I read, I'd have to say yes. But the final decision will come from seeing it first hand on June 24th. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Great article on Pioneer 5080HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Great article on Pioneer 5080HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 16, 2007 4:38 PM PDT

ON THE PDP-5080HD....... lets see if it's all it should be. Sounds promising. Appreciate your effort.

Collapse -
You're welcome
by kcfvegas / June 16, 2007 4:54 PM PDT

This really helped me in my decision making. I hope it helps other people.

Collapse -
Follow up
by kcfvegas / June 17, 2007 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome

One of the things I found interesting about the piece was that during the side by side comparison everyone thought the Pioneer was a 1080p set. They couldn't believe it when they found out it was a 765p!

Collapse -
new PIONEER PDP-4280/5080 HD PLASMA !!
by bigplasma / June 18, 2007 12:59 PM PDT

I just left Magnolia hi-fi (a best buy premium division)where i helped the salesman pull the Pioneer 4280 out of the box and set it up and plug it in.The Pioneer was next to the new Samaung 5054 50" 720p set,a Samsung 46" dlp, the new Panasonic th- 50pz700u 50" 1080p,and a pioneer elite 50" 1140. Right out of the box the pioneer blew every other tv around it away.BLACK LEVEL!!!! The Samsung dlp was brighter,but the picture was not as detailed or smooth.of course the Pioneer had not been adjusted yet. A little history for comparison.Our 7 year old Sony 32" crt just died, hence the journey to find a new HD tv began. My wife doesn't care about home theater, and wanted me to just replace our old 32".But i told her that we were going bigger and high def.I first bought 37" LG lcd...returned to CC,then i bought Panasonic th-42pz75u 720p, great tv, but i want 50". I then tried Samsungs 5054 720p set, not a bad tv, but i felt panasonic had better picture and way better menu and source switching.The Samsung also had image ghosting on black screens,so it had to go.The guy at Best buy discounted the Pioneer pdp 4271 (4270) 720p plasma. I fell in love with the 4270, great switching, excellent stan. def picture, Ps3 looked great, but what sold me was the natural color and picture quality with older dvds, Pioneer uses a 3:3 pulldown that displays the image a three times per second in pure cinema mode, the picture was really great. So the choice is yours, i bought last generation Pioneer 4270 with warranty and tax @ best buy (Sacramento, CA) with 12% rewards coupon for $1700. I found an authorized internet retailer selling the new Pioneer pdp-4280hd for $2074 with free shipping in 48 US, they offer ext. warranty 3 year for $179.00 and a 5 year for $254.00.The Pioneer 5080hd 50" is selling for $2659.00 plus warranty, and free shipping= $3000. So you have to ask your self, is it worth $2300. for 42" or $3000. for 50" with warranty to have one of the best plasmas ever made? For me, it is.The 80% better black level,the 2 new anti burn-in protections added, the 20,000:1 contrast ratio, the fact that it can accept true 1080p/24 fps,best of all is the (4) four new HDMI v 1.3,the only connection that will transmit new dolby hd/ dts hd lossless surround sound 7.1 channels in one cable.Not to mention you will need HDMI 1.3 to transmit new deep color bit rate when the studios start using the tech. For me, the difference in price is worth the future features the 4280/5080 offer.Just a side note, Pioneer has the new line of the Elite receivers- models sx1090,sx1091,sx 1092,sx 1094, all will feature HDMIv 1.3, these will come out in August( go to Pioneers webpage and look for "press releases for more info on tv and receivers). I hope this has been helpful and good luck with whatever you buy, Just enjoy the Magic...Rich

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?