Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Graphics problem with Windows 7

by rgcosta / January 1, 2010 12:06 AM PST

I have installed Windows 7 on my Dell Dimension 2400, using a flat screen Dell Monitor (not part of the original purchase) Model E153 FP. The problem is my display is all too big and does not fit on the screen. I have tried to change the resolution, but there are no options for making it smaller. Under devices, it says I have a generic PnP monitor and a stndard VGA Graphics adapter.
This is what I have tried:
1. I have tried the Dell website for an updated driver, but they don't have one for Windows 7 and this monitor.
2. I have tried a Windows Update twice.
Other threads have suggested Intel Updates, but that does not work.
3. I have considered unstalling it, but I don't have enough disk space to use windows.old.

I am at wits end, so any ideas would be more than appreciated.
Thanks and Happy New Year.
Rich Costa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics problem with Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics problem with Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 2400 could have some thousand video cards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 12:11 AM PST

Can you share which one is in use?

As to the Intel update or site, you didn't tell if you installed the Intel chipset driver FIRST. I found I had to do that before the Intel GMA Video driver. But your post doesn't reveal which video solution is in use.

If you can't find out, maybe a new video card is the fix?
Bob

Collapse -
Followup to video card question
by rgcosta / January 1, 2010 12:27 AM PST

Thanks for your reply. I have a few followup questions?

Can you share which one is in use?
I am not sure how to tell.

As to the Intel update or site, you didn't tell if you installed the Intel chipset driver FIRST. I found I had to do that before the Intel GMA Video driver. But your post doesn't reveal which video solution is in use.
Sorry, but I am unsure what the Intel chipset driver is. I don't believe I installed anything.

Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Yes, that's a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 12:35 AM PST

It's not unlike working on your car for the first time. And not knowing it's make, model, year and that some one installed a different part here and there.

The stock 2400 used the Intel 845GV so here's the 7 chipset driver.
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009236.htm and drop down to the 845GV line and select the OS you need it for.

Install the chipset first and graphics second.
Bob

Collapse -
No good
by rgcosta / January 1, 2010 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, that's a problem.

I finally had the time to try those d/l's. The chipsets would not load because of system requirements. I also tried the driver, but there was none for Windows 7,

If I need to replace the video card a)will that take care of the problem and b) where can I go to see which one I need?

Thanks.

Rich

Collapse -
I wonder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: No good

I've used those on Dimension 2400's but in Windows 7 32 bit. I wonder if you really have a 2400 and which Windows. Why it matters is that I have seen 2400s that owners had the motherboard replaced. Later the next owner ends up with a story like yours.

Try this. Go get BELARC ADVISOR and post the part about the hardware. Don't post the part with the serial numbers of your software.
Bob

Collapse -
Belarc information
by rgcosta / January 1, 2010 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: I wonder.

OK, thanks again for continuing to look into this.

Operating System System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium (build 7600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400
System Service Tag:
Chassis Serial Number:
Enclosure Type: Space-saving
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0F5949 A01
Serial Number:
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 12/02/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
76.85 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
14.09 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HD166 ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
Floppy disk drive

Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (80.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y22DB9RC, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM_2' has 512 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 76.85 GB 14.09 GB free

Collapse -
That didn't report the chipsets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: Belarc information

Let's go for EVEREST next.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Somethings not right here. Windows 7 should just work on this model without us doing the driver hunt. This is why I'm suggesting belarc and now Everest to see what is different about this machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Everest
by rgcosta / January 2, 2010 2:36 AM PST

Thanks. I am running Everest, but it seems like there are a lot of subfolders with info. Which info. would be useful here.

BTW, in a desperate act, I loaded a copy of VISTA I have, but the video display is still wrong. Dell is sending me a copy of the OEM XP.
thanks.

Collapse -
Until we figure out what this machine is made of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Everest

I expect troubles. There were many odd ball video cards made over the years and I'm not there to inspect the machine. You have to do that either with software or manual inspections.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?