PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Graphics - More Shared VS Less Dedicated

Hello Pros!

What's better - in relative terms, and when system memory is not a constraint - integrated graphics that is able to make use of more shared memory, or dedicated graphics that has less memory to utilise.

For example
512MB dedicated or 1.5GB shared, where system memory is 8GB.

I think all I'm looking for here are theoritical answers; kindly refrain from "you'd have to run tests" responses!

Many Thanks
Newbie with a limited budget to buy laptop

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics - More Shared VS Less Dedicated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics - More Shared VS Less Dedicated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"you'd have to run tests"

In reply to: Graphics - More Shared VS Less Dedicated

Just kidding. The brutal truth is that gamers don't take to shared memory solutions. Just forget it. No test required.
Bob

Collapse -
Newbie with a limited budget to buy laptop

In reply to: Graphics - More Shared VS Less Dedicated

Sorry for this type of response; but true gamers won't use laptops for gaming, majority of laptops are not setup for the intense graphics/ framerates that games possess.

Collapse -
Brechan

In reply to: Newbie with a limited budget to buy laptop

...Come on Brechan, that wasn't very helpful.

'True' gamers... What does that even mean?
I've played games throughout my life; the day before my wedding, the afternoon preceding my engagement, the evening prior to my exams, the night ahead of my interview.
I am a 'true' gamer.

But, this is all a bit off topic.
And to turn it around, apply the example in the original post to a desktop rather than a laptop.

I know there are other elements to graphical processing which affect its output, but an essential part is the memory. So just some theoretical possibilities backed by a bit of reasoning that answers the topic of this post, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Collapse -
Look at this way.

In reply to: Brechan

No shared video solution has ever "passed the mustard" and won a gamer's love.

To write anymore would be a waste of time.
Bob

Collapse -
You can have all the memory

In reply to: Brechan

in the world, but it's not going to make a lick of difference if you're sharing it with your integrated video card.
Dedicated graphics are the only way to go, that's why manufacturers like ATI and NVidia make 'Gaming' video cards.

Collapse -
Useless

In reply to: You can have all the memory

Should have known better than ask a question in a public place, where any cretin can respond.

I'll stick with my fellow IT team mates from now.

Collapse -
You asked...we answered

In reply to: Useless

You asked the members here for their honest opinion on the subject of integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, R. Proffit and I gave you our opinion.
If you asked this question on any PC forum, you would generally get the same answers as here.
Integrated graphics will do fine for any purpose other than gaming.
However; if you install a dedicated graphics card onto the motherboard in quesiton, the dedicated graphics card would kick in when the graphics become too intense for the integrated chip (such as playing games), then shut down when the game stops.

Collapse -
You want a gaming laptop?

In reply to: Useless

In that case you will be wanting an Alienware;
http://www.alienware.com/microsite/m11x/m11x.aspx?tab=laptops

Forget about budget considerations!

The "Shared memory versus dedicated graphics" question, just a few examples;

What does dedicated graphics and shared graphics mean?

Shared graphic issue

Dedicated Vs Shared Memory

But it seems from your post that, despite asking the question, "What's better....?", you had already made up your mind what answer you wanted, and have rejected the advice given.

Good luck with that. Since you are not happy with the help provided in these forums I will lock this discussion.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.