Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Graphics forum

by funkid7 / April 6, 2005 8:02 AM PDT

I may be new to graphics. But it seems there are very few graphic designers in this forum? I see an opportunity to grow along with this forum. I hope, Those of us who are here; are gonna stick around and help it, eat some bandwidth!

Keep on keepin' on!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics forum
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics forum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Graphics Forum
by taboma. / April 6, 2005 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Graphics forum

Funkid7, You are right!
We need more posts concerning graphics and problems concerning graphic issues, pre-press and from printers input.
How about Pixelish, posting more info?

What we need is more input from professionals as well as newbies.
Did you mean eat a sandwich and enjoy the bandwith or what? Just kidding. :?)

Kevin

Collapse -
some have said...
by funkid7 / April 10, 2005 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Graphics Forum

I am looking for attention? well, if that is the case, I certainly won't find much in here. Heheee.
CGI is still a growing technology and comparitively young amongst the other computer advances. Well, maybe anyways?
In time , as the graphics art industry grows, this forum may grow also!

Collapse -
Also tend to over-punctuate
by funkid7 / April 12, 2005 7:59 PM PDT
In reply to: some have said...

Well, I ate a ham sandwich while posting. So I meant both. LOL!

Collapse -
Ham Sandwich? Good Luck!
by taboma. / April 13, 2005 4:17 PM PDT

The graphics art industry is still growing and so are the newspapers, printers, as well as graphic designers.
Seems like you need some education.

Direct to plate technology was started years ago. Your company decided over six years ago to streamline their process also and go direct to plate.

Did you know that I worked next to one of your companys printers and distribution sites in Norwood, MA?
How small the world is when you post here!

Funkid7, be careful on how you post and who you work for or complain about.
Your company produces one of the best newspapers in the country, or world for that matter. USA TODAY.

You had better thank your lucky stars that you still have a job there!
If there is one to grow, it is you. Stop whining and learn!

Pixelish, contributing on our Graphics Forum, has some wonderful posts and there is a wealth of info out there if you want to learn it.

Or, eat a SPAM sandwich and lots of luck.

Collapse -
okay, in all seriousness...
by funkid7 / April 14, 2005 4:18 AM PDT

I agree with you on all above.
I am ignorant to all this computer geekery.
I will try and keep it limited to, the issue at hand, in the future.

Collapse -
Serious
by taboma. / April 14, 2005 2:47 PM PDT

Funkid7,
Geekery, NO. Graphics, YES.
Ham sandwiches, NO. Graphic questions or help, YES.
There are so-called geek forums, but not here.

Off Subject: A few years ago when I worked in Norwood, MA, there was a company across from our building. A national printer called Gannett Press, that printed the newspaper for USA TODAY. Distribution was for some of the Northeast. Gannett Press used to ask our company to come over for a tour of their new facilities after setting up direct-to-plate graphics for their presses. I never went over. Wish I had! Would have learned what direct-to-plate was about.

Kevin

Collapse -
I know a little
by funkid7 / April 23, 2005 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Serious

The image setter does the entire job. Build the page in Quark then to agfa printer instead of a reverse negative the film stage is removed and the page literally burned direct to the plate then the setter spits it out, pre-bent ready to hang on the press. This eliminates the film/chemical cost and time consuming steps.

Collapse -
Have I seen it actually work?
by funkid7 / April 23, 2005 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Serious

Nope. THey are discussing it may happen in my plant, but we are small site, so it may be awhile yet. I will have to get with you through e-mail if it ever happens.

Collapse -
Direct to plate
by taboma. / April 24, 2005 3:50 PM PDT

Funkid7, Thanks for the info. Direct to plate seems the way to go with many printers. Also, InDesign from Adobe is gaining many faithful lately. Wonder why?

Kevin

Collapse -
I will try and find the answer
by funkid7 / May 2, 2005 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Direct to plate

I will ask the right people tomorrow and post about this same hour, at that time.

Collapse -
Direct to plate. On Subject/Off Subject
by taboma. / May 2, 2005 12:43 PM PDT

Funkid, our company last January went direct to plate, eliminating all the film work and rips. The printing image is really superior to what it used to be. Quality of back-to-back color pages are superior also.

Too bad that a few jobs were lost in the process.
Happened within the Typographical group ten years or more ago. Corporate does not care. Cost cutting and the bottom line is their concern.
You and I? Who knows what will happen with our jobs?
If a company could do our job with a program or a robot, they would try to do that also.

Kevin

Collapse -
Be wise, Downsize?
by funkid7 / May 3, 2005 12:22 AM PDT

Yes, same thing here the last 9 years. Remember layout and paste up? I used to build the sports section, before the composing dept. completely vanished.
I do see the potential though. My dream is to eventually read/build an exclusive E-Newspaper, instead of a news"paper". My opinion is; the more I can learn about web designed media, the safer my career will be later. Just my hunch. Trees are an endangered resource. Paper costs are killing us!

As for In-Design: Couldn't ask yet. Everyone went up state, for a big corp. meeting today. Still curious....

Collapse -
In-Design
by taboma. / May 25, 2005 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Be wise, Downsize?

Keep in touch. Really interested in In-Design.
Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.