Computer Help forum

Question

Graphics driver not working? Need help diagnosing!

by 9911MU51C / July 12, 2013 5:09 AM PDT

Hello, about 2 weeks ago my monitor stopped reading signals from my computer due to some RAM being dirty, so I cleaned off the RAM sticks (and the rest of the computer guts with a compressed air pump) and put the RAM back in, after I hooked it all up again I turned it one and it worked like a charm. Until I tried to play Rome: Total War.

It gives me a message saying that I need directx 9 (This game and all the others worked fine the day before) so I downloaded the directx 9 from microsoft (the official one that everyone links you too) and checked the directx diagnosis tool, it read that I indeed have direcx 9. So I try to play again, same problem.

I also noticed on my web browser (chrome) that when I scroll, it's choppy-ish. It doesn't load slow, it loads like a fast wave moves across the screen and in its wake is the screen after I scrolled, and above the "wave" is the old view I was scrolling from.

Now, at this point I was thinking "maybe it's just because I moved the RAM around and it'll settle down in a bit"
It didn't.
I tried playing KSP, didn't even open the game
I tried playing 3-D browser games using the Unity Plugin, it says my directx or graphics driver has a problem
I try just regular 2-D broswer games, they work, but not if they start getting too memory heavy.

At this point I don't even know what to do. I have a very limited budget so I'd rather not pay $100 for geek squad to tell me I forgot to plug something in.

Also, It says I have a new hardware "Video Controller (VGA compatible)" under "Other Devices" in my device manager. I try to reinstall/update it and I get an error saying I don't have the software.

I just want to know what is wrong with my computer. Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics driver not working? Need help diagnosing!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics driver not working? Need help diagnosing!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What computer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 5:14 AM PDT

I read this twice trying to see what computer, OS and more but given only what you supplied it sounds as if the video driver is no more.

As there is no OS, make and model the GENERIC FIX I USE IS:

1. Install the motheboard driver package.
2. Install the video card driver package.
3. Install DX again

As to Unity, never used it.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by 9911MU51C / July 12, 2013 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: What computer?

BIOS Version/Date (I think this is what you're looking for): Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2A-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 1901, 7/21/2008

And bye "video driver is no more", Do you mean that it was somehow physically broken during cleaning or that something went wrong virtually?

Collapse -
Your guess is good as mine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

But XP can get real wonky after infections, registry cleaning or the old, why is this still happening? "XP Corrupt Profile" issue.

None of that matters. When I see something like this I try another user account just for checking then treat it like a fresh OS install and apply the drivers in the order the maker told me to.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.