Desktops forum

General discussion

Graphics Design PC's

Which one's would you recommend for rendering and image editing duties? I usually have Cinema 4D and Terragen rendering at the same time along with Photoshop and Paintshop Pro running along side each other. Not to mention WMP playing music 24/7...

My Dell is almost always running at 100% and sometimes does not respond for hours on end. I need a PC that can handle all this, but still come at a price under $1600 with a good sized hard drive and efficient memory...thanks Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Design PC's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Design PC's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Graphics Design PC's

emachines!!!!

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: RE:

Thank you. Nice and expandable.

Anymore recommendations?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) get a cutstom built computer

In reply to: Thanks

Collapse -
RE

If you're going to do all that rendering at the SAME time, then you should get a new Pentium EE. Don't know if you can do that in your budget though,as the procesoor alone costs $1000. However, doing perhaps 2 of those applications and wmp would be pretty okay on the emachines t6212. If you're going to do all 4, i don't really know. I don't think AMD athlon 64s were built to multitask, but depending on how olds you dell it would still probably be faster.

Collapse -
your so very far from true in that...

In reply to: RE

a Pentium EE is just a Pentium Extreme Edition
which means either the Pentium 4 EE or Pentium D EE, which just feature more cache, and in the D EE's case HT (while normal Pentium D's don't have HT)

Athlon64 would be perfectly fine for your needs
but i'd still suggest the Intel Pentium D 820, it's 2 2.8GHZ cores
in addition i'd say throw a 250GB hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 PC 5400, and what ever you need for graphics (depending on the level of rendering your doing and so on)

Collapse -
actually

i have no clue why i recommended the emachines in the first place. It is a total budget pc, and you're willing to spend $1600. Go with a custom computer either made by Monarch, Cyberpower,ibuypower,velocity micro, overdrive, alienware,falcon northwest, voodoo or many others/ build your own. If you have no clue about buildigny our own or do not like the reputations of those companies and want an oem. Go for the Dell 9100 with a Pentium D. Should be within your budget and be good for multitasking.

Collapse -
Thanks all

In reply to: Graphics Design PC's

Collapse -
Oh no Ray.......

In reply to: Thanks all

That is just an ordinary run of the mill computer that can be had with just about any maker of PC's for that price range, and IMO is not the one for you. It has the 754 Socket motherboard which is being phased out in favor of the 939 socket, 80GB hard drive (you need more), 512MB RAM (you could use more..like 1GB), and a low end $45-$50 Video Card.

Since you have so much rendering and running at the same time, IMO you need just what Ozos suggested, a computer with the new DUAL-CORE processor.

Here is what another guy (Ksoiehawo) is planning to build with the Dual-Core Processor & motherboard:
His post in the PC Hardware Forum
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=26&threadID=110914&messageID=1262200

All prices are from Newegg:

Case: $125
Antec Performance TX1050B /w Antec Smartpower 500W Power Supply

Motherboard: $224
Asus P5WD2

CPU: $363.99
Intel Pentium D 830

RAM: $89 (DDR-2, 533 PC4200)
Corsair Value Select PC4200 1024MB (2x512MB)

Video Card: $166 (or the Gigabyte 6600 PCIe @ $107)
Gigabyte 6600GT (PCIe)

HDD: $112
Seagate 200GB SATA

FDD: Mitsumi 7-in-1 (Mitsumi 8-in-1 card reader w/floppy $20)

DVD Burner: $36.99
BenQ 1620

DVD ROM: $33
BenQ 1650

Sub total at Newegg purchase $1149.98 + shipping

Would also need a Operating System Win XP Home w/SP2 $83.95

And if you do not already have, add:
Speakers..inexpensive ($20+
A 56kbps Modem (aprx $10-$20)
A Router (aprx $15-$25)
An inexpensive keyboard & mouse. (aprx $30)
A Monitor.....Newegg has some good buys on several 17'' Acer LCD's with 8ms & 12ms from $214 -$245.

So everything above, aprx $1543.75 which is within your $1600 budget if you build yourself, or pay a little more to have an experienced shop/person build it for you for $xx.xx

At Velocity Micro you can configure a computer with the Intel Pent D 830 dual-core 3.0GHz processor for $2300:
http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=20

You can configure a pretty good Dell 9100 computer with a Pent D 820 processor with:

1GB dual channel DD2 RAM at 533Mhz

250 GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive

Dual Optical Drives = 16x DVD-ROM & 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write

9-in-1 Media Card Reader with 3.5 in Floppy Drive

17'' CRT Monitor ( can sell and get the Acer 17'' LCD)

156MB PCI-e Nvidia GeForce 6800 Video Card

IEEEE 1394 adapter

Dell speakers
Dell Keyboard & mouse
56kbps Modem
1 year warranty/service (can get more for $'s)
Other software

Above $1409, well within your $1600 budget. Can increase to get the 830 (3.0GHz) processor for $128 more.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&kc=6V659&l=en&oc=d91sap&s=dhs

Collapse -
That reply was Godly.

In reply to: Oh no Ray.......

Thanks. Period.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Ray.

In reply to: That reply was Godly.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.