Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Graphics Design Computer Question ...

by caseypuccio / May 14, 2010 8:32 AM PDT

Hello, I just entered my major in Multi-Media Arts and Graphics and am interested in buying a new computer .... My budget is around $1,200.00 and I was looking for adivce concerning the New MacBook Pro 13 inch.

Is this a suitable computer for the graphics design program or can I find something better ...

Intel Core 2 Duo Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory 4GB Memory
250GB hard drive1 320GB hard drive1
SD card slot SD card slot
Built-in battery (10 hours)2 Built-in battery (10 hours)2
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Design Computer Question ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Design Computer Question ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, that would be a suitable computer
by grimgraphix / May 18, 2010 12:39 AM PDT

I use a similar machine for work at home.

I would also give the school a call and see if they have any advice about what computer you might need. They could have different recommendations.

Plan on getting a fair sized USB flash drive for saving homework on.

I would also plan on getting at least one portable hard drive to keep all your larger projects on. Life will be easier on you if you can just keep all your projects together, and carry them from class to class since you will be using in-classroom computers supplied by the school for much of the day. Don't forget to back up this drive to your home computer. Nothing worse than losing all your work by misplacing your drive, or breaking it.

Cheers and good luck !

Collapse -
Witch program should I use for designing a new Laptop.
by sphynx719 / March 21, 2012 11:05 AM PDT

I have design concept for a new laptop and I don't know witch program to use. I would like to make a mockup of the concept first before I go buying a 5,000 dollar program. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Collapse -
When we mock up, you may laugh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

But we use paper, tape, cardboard, paint, spray paint, sharpies and more. It's amazing what you can mock up today.
Bob

Collapse -
You can't mock up a laptop with duct tape
by sphynx719 / March 22, 2012 10:15 AM PDT

As far as software goes, what should I use. Auto cad Parts builder. Every program that I've look at today won't let me create anything other than a bent bracket and not the hole laptop case.

Collapse -
Of course you can
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2012 10:23 AM PDT

then you get the 'feel' for it, size, shape, ergonomics, placement of keyboard, ports, and so on.

If you create a physical mock up of your concept and find that it doesn't really feel right, then you haven't wasted 5000 dollars on some CAD software.

Mark

Collapse -
Sure we can.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2012 10:41 AM PDT

And the staff can get it done in just a few days or less then we can polish it with more versions. We've even done such mockups with push buttons, keyboards and more. Nothing works of course but we do encounter a new designer that may have not been taught the classic prototyping methods.

If you want to use Auto Cad, then do that!
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Any reason you posted in a 2010 discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2012 10:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
It was the closes topic to my problem
by sphynx719 / March 22, 2012 1:46 PM PDT

That emachine shop won't let my make now I'm quoting "can not make connected bends". That's what I am having a problem with. Thanks any ways.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?