General discussion

Graphics corruption

Hi All

I have a problem with my year old desktop pc and random screen corruption when I startup the pc. Sometimes it does it once every few months, but in the last week its happened it every day.

This is a video of what happens but its not always the same, but its always at startup. Usually anytime upto and including the windows login screen, but never before or during the bios screen. Once it corrupts I then need to hard reset, soft reset does nothing. All drivers are up to date.
http://youtu.be/6XtsjIUlyA4

I`ve tried replacing the graphics card and I still had problems and i`ve reinstalled windows 7. I`m thinking the next thing is to replace the psu? Whats strange is that it never goes wrong once windows is up and running, its only at startup. It also cause the external monitor (TV) to blank out and it freezes the pc ie caps lock,etc dont function. i`ve also tried it in someone else`s house with different monitor and the same occurred.

My equipment is as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge-DT XE, D2)
3400 MHz (34.00x100.0) @ 3511 MHz (35.00x100.3)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO
Chipset: Intel P67 (Cougar Point) [B3]
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 668 MHz, 9.0-9-9-24
- 4096 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston 9905403-439.A00LF
- 4096 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston 9905403-400.A00LF
- 4096 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston 9905403-439.A00LF
- 4096 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston 9905403-400.A00LF
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 465
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 (GF100/D12U), 1048256 KB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: C300-CTFDDAC128MAG, 125.0 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s
Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70, DVD+R DL
Sound: Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B3]
Sound: nVIDIA GF100 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: Intel 82579V (Lewisville) Gigabit Network Connection
Network: D-Link DWA-525 Wireless N 150 Desktop Adapter
PSU: Coolermaster 750W

Any Ideas??

Thanks alot

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Graphics corruption
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Graphics corruption
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Do a little research on that PSU and Video card?
- Collapse -
Heres the psu and gfx cards details..
- Collapse -
19 x 12 = 228.

Since the result at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-465-fermi-gf100,2642-11.html was 283 total it is a safe bet your PSU was working very hard.

This is why I suggest folk get single rail PSUs so they don't risk pushing any single rail too hard.

Again, I only have the details you supplied but it looks like the repeating story of a PSU that had to work hard. BUT don't let anyone think that means the PSU is the only failure. It is the first part I change to a bigger supply (or same but with single rail) then retest.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Bob

Thanks, but when I tried replacing the graphics card it was with a much cheaper, single power connector card. I also tried removing some other components ie drives. But i still had the occasional screen problem. As I recall I just had a white screen instead of the corruption I get with my current card.

I think i may try another psu incase this one has a fault.

- Collapse -
When I referred to a single rail

I was writing about the PSU. Your tests however do point a finger back to the PSU.

I don't want to upset you but did anyone talk to you about rails versus total power, etc?
Bob

- Collapse -
Sorry dont have a clue about rails.

I`ve never looked into details about psu`s before, its a shop built pc so went with what they suggested.

One thing I noticed is that my psu is a single rail according to coolermasters website.

Thans

- Collapse -
Thanks for pointing that out. I must have looked at the wro

I got the link wrong somehow. OK, we're good on the PSU. You are under the 50% mark.

-> OK, let's move to that other area I run into. It's called OVERCLOCKING and when folk to that, they find themselves out on a limb.

There still is heat to consider. But I don't think that's the cause. That is, it could cause the parts to age quickly but it is not the cause of the cold machine issues.

I'm back to some other bad parts. Or overclocking.
Bob

- Collapse -
overclocking

The machine isnt being overclocked, I did overclock it about 6 months ago but disabled it to see if that was the cause of the problem.

- Collapse -
DAY ONE.

The revelation that it happened when new means that very little I wrote is going to be helpful.

It's time to consider the flaw could be the motherboard. You have a fine PSU, you swapped the GPU so next up is the MB.

I would think it could be the OS but since it fails at boot, there is no OS running so it's a hardware fault.
Bob

- Collapse -
fails loading windows

It actually boots ok , passed the bios and then when it goes from the dos screen and windows 7 boot screen appears and as far as the login screen is when the problem occurs.
If I get past the login screen I`m safe.

But i have installed a new windows 7 on here, it original came with windows 7 home oem. I bought a windows 7 home premium and that had the same issue.

I think i`ll take it into the shop where I bought it and see about a complete checkup. I did do this when it first started occurring but they couldnt reproduce it. It was then fine for a month or so. But now it seems to be doing everyday maybe a good time to get it re-checked.

- Collapse -
Power and cooling

Considering all you have installed and the immediate or apparent start-up issue leading to a PSU faltering. You have a decent PSU, but your system is stuffed. Basically, I call this you're losing your "ummmpfff" to get things going. It's all about wattage and amps for high demanding PCs, plus the single rail build. The video card because you can "see" the results but everything comes into play. As Robert stated, you need to check the PSU specs and quite frankly the "amps" it needs, if you're in at a 75% range of what the PSU produces, you've sooner or later will have problems. You may need to step-up to even a better PSU, like in the 1000W range, because not only of demand but all the heat stress that encountered. The PSU is ideal at certain temps and once that gets encumbered, you find it actually reduces the stability of the PSU and faltering. Also, if you've been using this with no apparent(maybe minor, but reboots fixed it), the end result, it finally starts to be more apparent. Check the http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com use the watts calculator and add 100W to it. Oh yeah, cooling is very important here as well. With all the drives installed, it better be good cooling. Also, the cpu comes into play it handles video requests under its own management scheme for i7 world, which could be outlying issue*maybe?).

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
thanks Willy

Thanks , but what confuses me is that why this problem only happens at startup of windows? I do alot of graphic/cpu intensive work and I never have any issues once i`m logged into windows. What happends only at startup that could cause this?

- Collapse -
I'm not confused at all. But why is that?

Because I'm an electronics designer so I know that ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS have less capacity when cold. They also lose capacity with age. And by stressing the PSU with what looks to be near its capacity (not total Watts but one of the rails) you should have a short lived PSU.

There are fine documents all over the web with charts about life span of this part so why this is, is no mystery.

-> My thought on this is that while folk can continue to build such machines, they often get a year or two before this happens. What I like to see in my desktops are PSU's that have no rail and total power draw that exceeds 50% of the PSU's rating. That gets me to a 5 year life span or better.
Bob

- Collapse -
interesting

ah ok that sounds like whats happening, although I had this problem from day one so perhaps it has a faulty capacitor out of the box? It actually happened in the shop but thought it was down to a bad video cable connection. But have to say recently its become worse, not sure if its the heat where I live (upto mid 35c) now maybe a factor aswell.

- Collapse -
DAY ONE?

Sorry I thought this was a NEW ISSUE.

You can almost wipe all my replies out since it happened from DAY ONE.

That is, I have to re-think this and wonder why the maker didn't fix this.
Bob

- Collapse -
the builder

Well the thing is it happened on the first day, and then it was fine for perhaps a month or two. Then it started playing up and I asked to swap the video card , they lent me a cheaper card and again it caused the same problem with that and then I put in the original card and it was fine for another month or two. Its like that, but now in the last week its become a daily occurrence.
I spoke to the shop today and they said to bring it in to have the engineer check it, just i`m upto my eyeballs with work at the moment so it will be a few weeks before I can do that.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Build to specs

This maybe due to wear&tear of the power demands and over time the components start to age. It may not seem so, but electronics do fail because of this. Once, you're at a level that pretty much taxes the PSU or the PC itself, will show the quality and overall build was good to begin with, can just wear down. This is all a time factor for any decent system, excluding extremes it's just so. The fact that this happens at start-up is a good clue of such. You can play all you want, but sooner or later you have to rethink the entire PC make-up. That's why the PSU is so critical, because it's the underlying support for everything. You even have to consider the case its housed in. That's why better cases have PSU on the bottom and they're roomy(full tower) too. Further, if this was a server a dual PSU setup or redundancy setup to handle breakdown. When you build your own or custom, you'll have to know the requirements and best match. Which is why OEM types like Dell, when left as is, tend to work for yrs., unless outside forces or poor handling is encountered. Your build is simply pushing it because its so much more than a typical PC. Think as if this was std. car and you used it like a taxi, 24x7, wouldn't you get the idea that you find a car that handles being a taxi from the beginning. A car that's at least more robust or easy to maintain, etc.. Robert posted good info too, I just offer the field svc. side of it, as I see real world results.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
DAY ONE changes every idea I presented.
- Collapse -
bios update

Thanks, The motherboard is the original. but I did noticed the bios was 2 revisions out of date so have just updated. Supposed to fixed hardware stabilities in the last 2 versions. But I did get a blank screen after I`d logged into windows forcing me to do a hard reset. I hadnt fully completed the bios update, required a clear rtc cmos step which i`ve just done.

- Collapse -
That blank screen

I often find my self booting safe mode then, well, setting the screen to 800x600 then saving that and trying again.
Bob

CNET Forums