Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Graphics Controller - High priority update??

by Carol~ Moderator / April 21, 2006 7:04 AM PDT

I cannot stress enough, how little I know about hardware. Nothing..zero..nada. This will be made obvious with the following..

November of last year, MU notified me of an ''optional'' update for my 'Dell Inc - Video - Intel 82865G Graphics Controller'. The software update was released on Sept 20th. I did know not to install whatever MS would supply me, rather, the manufacturer. (And thanks to a post by Grif some years back, I never set my updates to automatic, just for this reason) Thinking nothing was ''broken'', I opted not to ''fix it''.

Since I've had Defender, I changed my settings to have MU alert me, but not download and install. Two days ago, I was alerted of a ''High Priority'' update. It's the same Graphics Controller. Thinking I might need to update it, I went to Intel's website to see if I could find the update.

My questions are these:

Why would it now be classified as high priority? Even if I ''hide'' the update, it continues to nag me, unless I turn off the alert completely. This is not a major ordeal, since ''Patch Tuesday'' is engrained in my head. Although, it's been convenient having it alert me when Defender updates.

Could I do more harm then good by trying, when I'm not sure which one it is, or how to do it? I am not a gamer and yet, I don't know if what I have is working at it's optimum. Could the update have addressed issues.. which needed addressing?

If I should be installing it, is it the first update on this page?? And once found, does it get saved to the desktop and updated through the Device Manger, or is it a simple double click. (Actually, my curiousity did get the better of me. I decided to save it to my desktop, only to see what it looked like. I expected to see an installer icon, which was not the case. I deleted it.)

I appreciate the time taken to read this. Please consider which forum I chose to post this in.

Thanks in advance..
Carol

'Dell Inc - Video - Intel 82865G Graphics Controller
Version 6.14.10.4020
Driver dated: 1/23/05
Device Type: Display adapters
-------------------------------
Windows XP Home - SP2
Dell Dimension DIM 4600
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
2.66 GHz 512 MB of RAM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Controller - High priority update??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Controller - High priority update??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Carol, It's Up To You...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 21, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

The graphics controller alert is being created because you now have Automatic Updates enabled... Most updates that are displayed in Automatic Updates are designated as "High Priority" even though they may not be designated so at Windows Update. In order to check, visit the normal Windows Update site and run a "Custom" scan and see if it's still listed in the "High Priority" (Critical) category.

As to whether you need to install it, there should be no harm in it and it shouldn't be difficult. Simply download the .exe file to your desktop and double click on it. It should then install itself. (My home computer uses the same Intel 82845G graphics controller and the drivers generally install easily. My current graphics controller is a June 05 version and I've not seen a reason to update to the most recent version.) It will automatically create a new driver version in Device Manager/Display Adpaters/Intel 82845G Graphics Controller. If for some reason, it doesn't work correctly, simply return to Device Manager, click on the "Driver" tab for the device and select "Roll Back Driver". Still, it should work fine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif.. I ran the custom scan
by Carol~ Moderator / April 21, 2006 2:23 PM PDT

from the site and it continues to tell me I need to 'restore' the update from hiding because it is High Priority. Actually, no matter what I do, it shows up as such. I'm going to keep MU disabled. Not a problem. I'll deal with it.

Thank you for the information. I had my fingers crossed.. and you answered. As long as I know I can rollback the driver, if I run into a problem, I think I should be ok. And if not, I'll cross my fingers again and hope you haven't left on vacation!

Thanks again!
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?