Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Graphics Colours Missing & .Program pages too large for the Monitor

by colindarby / March 20, 2004 12:38 PM PST

Have found problems with Win98SE from the Schools computers I am envolved with;

[1]
On Three of their Computers I have found somehow we have lost the original setup with the Graphics!
At the moment all we only have is "16 colours and 2 colours" available and in "System Properties" it only shows one "Display Adaptor" " the "Standard PCI Graphics Adaptor [VGA}".
I feel at the moment the Graphics Chip has somehow collapsed and become non functional?
I am trying somehow to over come the cost problem!! I may yet have to ask the School to buy me new Graphics Cards???

[2] Also finding the program pages are to large for the monitor screen [just a few = EG, "Adobe Reader 6.01 = Preferences"].
Unable to pull up the bottom of their pages so to click on "OK" /"Cancel" Keys and they have no "Minimise" available on their/these pages and found you cannot "Drag" them smaller from the page corners!

Your advice would be appreciated!
Regards Colin Darby [Australia]

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Colours Missing & .Program pages too large for the Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Colours Missing & .Program pages too large for the Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Find out ...

what video card is inside the machines, download the correct drivers and install them. That would do the trick.

Two ways to find out:
1. Have a look at the card itself. If no video card, but an on-board graphics (that's: on the motherboard) you'll may need to find the motherboard drivers.
2. Remove the video from Device Manager, reboot and see what the New Hardware wizard has to say. If it's an old card, it might be that the OS has a basic driver for it on the CD. This wouldn't harm as you can always install what you've got now.

If all else fails, buy a few second hand simple videocards (with driver CD or with enough identification), on ebay for example. So many people buying the hottest, latest card for the hottest, latest games they must be abundant.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Graphics Colours Missing & .Program pages too large for the Monitor

To find out info about the video cards on these computers, click Start and then Run. In the "Open" box, type in... dxdiag ...and click OK. When the window pops open, you may need to wait a min or 2 while it completes the information search. Next, click the display tab.

Here on the top half of this tab you will find info about the video card (device) as well as driver information.

The bottom half of the display tab are a couple of test buttons which may or may not help by running these tests. But, it won't hurt to run them and it doesn't or shouldn't take long at all. Also, there is a notes box that may give you some clues to your problem.

If you do have a video card problem, this info may help you with solving the problem ... if it can be solved.

Try what Kees had to say.

Hope this helps. ~ CharleyO

Collapse -
Re:Re:Graphics Colours Missing & .Program pages too large for the Monitor

The settings you have are the basic ones that appear when the video card drivers have not yet been installed. Quick answer is to download "BELARC" and run it as it will tell you everything you need to know about the computer, including the installation code for Win98SE etc.
Then go to the relevant video card site or motherboard site and simply download the correct drivers. Either burn them on to a CD or put them on "D" partition so they don't get lost. Then run the install wizard by opneing device manager and clicking on display adapters. Click on update drivers and when the wizard asks where to find them point to the folder in which you have saved the downloaded drivers.
the drivers should install correctly and at the end automatically reboot your comp. Then the colours can be adjusted normally by right clicking on the desktop and saetting them up as you wish. I suggest you use high Colour 16 bits as minimum and 1024 x 786 for the size of the desktop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.