Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Graphics card problems

by zephzer / February 6, 2010 4:40 AM PST

Yesterday i was playing a game and it said "your graphics card is out of date" i just ignored it because my game was still running fine. Later i went to check and see if i could download an update and so i went to look for my graphics card in control panel. I found it i think. It's called Nvidia Phys X. The weird thing is it acts like it's not there or turned off. It says "no ageia phys X processor installed under info and under settings you can pick "no acceleration" or "Ge-force phys X" or "ageia phys X" i can only chose No acceleration I later went to try the game again and now it no longer works. Someone please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics card problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics card problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HELP
by zephzer / February 6, 2010 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Graphics card problems

Please someone help now many programs are not working because of graphics card

Collapse -
How about some details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: HELP

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

I think some drivers may be a good idea but to offer more, some details from you may be needed.
Bob

Collapse -
Specifics
by zephzer / February 6, 2010 7:34 AM PST

I have windows vista (32-bit) and a Nvidia graphics card i don't know how to give more details.

Collapse -
Go go google!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Specifics
Collapse -
I hope this works
by zephzer / February 6, 2010 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Go go google!

Operating System System Model
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC Rev 1
System Serial Number: CNF7502J3L
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Quanta 30D2 79.26
Bus Clock: 667 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.33 11/12/2007
Drives Memory Modules c,d
250.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
29.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PS3133Q BWP111M SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632M ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

FUJITSU MHY2250BH [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 4K317T2CNB5T, SMART Status: Healthy 3070 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM 2' has 1024 MB

Collapse -
Since it's HP laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: I hope this works
Collapse -
Not knowing the exact
by Brechan / February 7, 2010 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Since it's HP laptop.
Collapse -
Trying that now.
by zephzer / February 9, 2010 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Not knowing the exact

I'm trying it now but i do not know if it will work. I've been reading many things on the internet about this problem and what i've seen is that "Your system has stopped seeing the video adapter. Install the right video drivers for your Pavilion" and many things like that. So one thread i saw told them to go into control pannel then device manager and look for display devices. But when i look for my display devices there is none.

Collapse -
HP Pavillion DV6700 Notebook PC
by Brechan / February 9, 2010 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: Trying that now.

there a total of 4 different models in the HP Pavillion DV6700 Notebook PC series, once you have located the exact model number (in case you have trouble finding the exact number)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSeriesId=3632100&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c00033108#ServiceTag

click on one of the models shown here
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3632100

Which will take you to the relative site to download and install the graphics driver and any other current drivers available.

Collapse -
Strange
by zephzer / February 9, 2010 9:05 AM PST

On the bottom of my computer i looked for the model number and it says i have dv6780se but the program i downloaded to tell me and also dxdiag told me that it was dv6700 i have no idea which one to trust,

Collapse -
dv6700 or dv6780se..no idea which one to trust
by Brechan / February 9, 2010 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Strange

trust the number on the bottom of your laptop, this is the sticker/ model number that the manufacturer has affixed to the laptop.

Collapse -
Thanks
by zephzer / February 9, 2010 9:32 AM PST

I'm downloading it now and i will see if it works

Collapse -
not working
by zephzer / February 9, 2010 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: Graphics card problems

I downloaded it and reinstalled and i even restarted my computer it did nothing.

Collapse -
A mystery indeed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: not working

It took a few posts just to get drivers installed to rule out that.

Next up is the game's support site and ask them why it doesn't work when you have the ageia or such installed. It's likely something they overlooked or they don't support that chip.
Bob

Collapse -
I know it's not the game
by zephzer / February 9, 2010 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: A mystery indeed.

My "display devices is still MIA from my device manager and also it's multiple games that were working before then all of the sudden just stopped. My friend told me that sometimes graphics cards can turn off? I dont know if thats true but he seems to think that it's what happened to me...

Collapse -
Or there is an install order failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 10:52 PM PST

When I install an OS I found the order matters.

The generic method is the OS, the motherboard driver package, MS UAA (if required) then sound, then video.

If you think it over you see why order matters.

Try the motherboard driver package next. Beats having to use the restore media.
Bob

Collapse -
sometimes graphics cards can turn off?
by Brechan / February 9, 2010 11:55 PM PST

I can't say that I've heard of that before; mind you anything is possible on a laptop, the only thing I've seen (that's even close to what your friend said) is in the Control Panel-Power Options "Enable this device to shut off the computer to save batties". Or something to that effect.

The only other time that a video card will shut itself off; is if you're using onboard graghics combined with a seperate video card, when the person starts playing games or watching intense videos,the onboard video will shut down and the seperate video card will take over.

Then when the person goes back to surfing the web or other (non-taxing) tasks, such as using Microsoft Office; the seperate video card will shut down, and the onboard graphics will take over.

Collapse -
Now that you have found your exact model #
by Brechan / February 9, 2010 11:45 PM PST

Is there an online scanner (support system) or system updater on your laptop?
Perhaps a scanner on HP's website, to see if you're missing any drivers.
Possibly check the forums on HP's website, see if anybody else has had similar problems
Maybe try this link directly to Hp's forums (Operating Systems and Software)
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/bd-p/OS

Collapse -
Dxdiag
by zephzer / February 9, 2010 11:56 PM PST

I used DirectX Diagnostic Tool and under display this is what i got
Device
Dac type: n/a
Approx. Total memory: n/a
Current display mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit)
Monitor:

DirectX Features

Collapse -
(NT) What version of DirectX are you using?
by Brechan / February 10, 2010 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Dxdiag
Collapse -
Direct X
by zephzer / February 10, 2010 12:31 AM PST

I am running DirectX 10

Collapse -
it did nothing...
by Brechan / February 10, 2010 2:39 AM PST

After more searching on HP's website, I found this little tidbit:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01604982&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3647006

and this one as well:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00828604&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01604982/en_us/c00828604/loc:3&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3647006&lang=en

Do I have your permission to post your situation on the HP forums; perhaps someone else has had a similar problem, and it was resolved?

Collapse -
by zephzer / February 10, 2010 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: it did nothing...

Yes you do have my permission thanks, i will look at those 2 sites

Collapse -
Message Posted
by Brechan / February 10, 2010 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: .
Collapse -
More information
by zephzer / February 10, 2010 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Message Posted

I dont know if this will help but when i goto personalize, then display settings. Instead of shown one large monitor and one small on it just shows one large one

Collapse -
About ready to shoot my computer
by zephzer / February 10, 2010 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: More information

Think if figured out why reinstalling wont work. I think that i've been installing the wrong one. I have no idea how to figure out what the right one is because according to my computer i dont have a graphics card

Collapse -
Like my graphics card doesn't exist
by zephzer / February 10, 2010 7:28 AM PST

After doing hours of searching, using diffrent porgrams i begin to think that i dont have a graphics card. I dont know how that could be possible. But nothing can seem to find my graphics card

Collapse -
I'm pretty sure
by Brechan / February 10, 2010 7:45 AM PST

your graphics card in integrated into the motherboard

Collapse -
according to my computer i dont have a graphics card
by Brechan / February 10, 2010 7:43 AM PST

Yes; but we determined the model of your computer is the dv6780se; so we then go to the 'Help and Support' page at HP, type in the model#, then click on 'Support and Downloads'.

From the Downloads section; download the most current NVidia driver
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-59557-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3647006

From there we next download the most current Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family Video Driver for your laptop
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-60372-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3647006

Before installing the (downloaded) drivers; go to Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs, if there is a NVidia graphics driver present...uninstall it.
Next; go to http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html to download and install Driver Sweeper 2 (just click on 'Download Now').
This program elininates all that remains from uninstalling graphics drivers (I use it all the time when I'm going to install the latest drivers from ATI)
After running Driver Sweeper 2; restart your computer, and run CCleaner-registry cleaner, to clean up the registry.

Now you will be ready to install both of the new drivers that you previously downloaded from HP.

Once all this is done, give us a post back to see if it worked.

B.

Collapse -
Too late
by zephzer / February 10, 2010 9:08 AM PST

Your message came a little too late. I reset computer to facory settings and now it's working just fine. Thanks for the help though.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!