PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Graphics Card Problem

by navjas73 / August 7, 2010 11:16 AM PDT

I set my screen resolution at a setting that my monitor couldn't display. Now I get a black screen every time I try and turn on my computer. I don't get the usual boot up screen either. I can boot up when I connect to the motherboard, but not when I use my graphics card. Is there any way to fix this without connecting to a monitor which can handle the set screen resolution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Card Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Card Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most common fix?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Graphics Card Problem

Boot SAFE MODE and change the resolution there, then reboot.

Collapse -
I can't
by navjas73 / August 8, 2010 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Most common fix?

I can't even see the screen that'll let me do this.
It's just completely black from when I turn on the computer.

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2010 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I can't

All the PCs I've used for years show a splash screen and could get the BIOS even with the Windows video setting being incorrect. SAFE MODE seems to elude new users of Windows.

Let's try this again. Tell me how you tried to get to Windows SAFE MODE?
Bob

Collapse -
Thats the problem
by navjas73 / August 8, 2010 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

thats the problem. im not getting this screen anymore. i've actually done this before when I was using a different monitor, and used the "computer wasn't shut down properly" screen to boot into safe mode and change it back. this time though i don't get that screen. do you think I might have done something to the graphics card? could switching to this resolution cause the card to overheat?

Collapse -
Since there is no splash screen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2010 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats the problem

And no BIOS screen it does not look like a settings issue. It now looks like a PC that needs repair.

As to the "done something to the graphics card? could switching to this resolution cause the card to overheat?" I have yet to encounter that as a cause of a card failure. Most failures are because of inadequate cooling, failed fan or a bad power supply.

Since there is no BIOS, splash or other screens the machine should be treated like a dead PC and we begin the repairs by replacing the parts we suspect first.
Bob

Collapse -
the rest works
by navjas73 / August 8, 2010 1:34 AM PDT

I can boot up fine using the integrated card, just not the external one. I guess it must be the card then. I was thinking that maybe changing the resolution could affect the splash screen. If not, then I definitely destroyed the card. I did mess with the card when it stopped working, and I do have a network card which partially obstructs the airflow from the card's fan. I probably screwed it up. Crud.

Collapse -
That's good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2010 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: the rest works

Better than a real dead PC since repairs can be costly. Since the card stops the machine cold I'd keep that card out of the machine before it fries something in the PC.

Check the card warranty and you may get lucky,
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks anyway
by navjas73 / August 8, 2010 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: That's good.

Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.