Computer Help forum

Question

Graphics card possibly dead. Help!

by FrozenRogue / September 11, 2012 8:40 AM PDT

Recently I was having issues with my graphics card, so thanks to some help from Yahoo Answers I uninstalled, then reinstalled my graphics card drivers. In the middle of the installation my monitor went blank. I assumed this was part of the setup and waited for a good 20 minutes before shutting down my desktop. When I restarted, unlike what my monitor usually does (Search all types of ports for connection till it finds my computer) my monitor just went straight into sleep mode. My computer cannot reach safemode or anything either. It does not show anything. The monitor is not reading my video card. It is not the monitor. I tested it with another desktop and it works fine. I also tried reseting my BIOS. It didn't change anything. I left the battery out for a good 30 minutes. No change.

I'm guessing my graphics card died but i'm not sure. It's fan is still humming when I power the desktop on. Is there anything I can do? My video card is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384

Please help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics card possibly dead. Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics card possibly dead. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That card is very power hungry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 8:45 AM PDT

Can you tell more about the PC such as make, model and fine details about the power supply?

Collapse -
My PC is custom built.
by FrozenRogue / September 11, 2012 8:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
PSU is up to the task.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 10:26 AM PDT

It's all plugged in (you did check that the power connections and the card is plugged in nicely) so does this machine have onboard video we can try?
Bob

Collapse -
No onboard, plugs are good.
by FrozenRogue / September 12, 2012 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU is up to the task.

Everything is plugged in. The card does turn on (Hence the fan). Unfortunately the motherboard I have does not have an onboard video card.

Collapse -
Answer
Forgot to add a few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 10:36 AM PDT

I've seen a few machines fail like this when there is some USB thing plugged in or a memory card in a card reader.

To avoid that, unplug all USB things and memory cards, sticks and USB drives.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you!
by FrozenRogue / September 12, 2012 6:02 AM PDT

This fixed the not starting up problem! Thank you so much!

Now that the system has started up, I am experiencing a few strange problems. My date was set to January 1st, 2011. My antivirus (ESET) is asking me to update it, when I do it says its updated but a few seconds later says it is not updated, my system is not secure.. ect. Also, whenever I attempt to connect to Google.com I get a security error telling me my my servers certificate is invalid. Does this have anything to do with the fact I tried to reset my BIOS by taking out and putting back in my CMOS battery?

Not sure if you can help me out with any of this stuff, I thought I might as well ask.
Thanks so much again!

- Sebastian

Collapse -
When the date/time is too far off
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

You'll see problems like that. Try putting the CMOS battery back in and then setting the date/time in the BIOS then reboot and retest.

And yes, pulling the battery does cause the date/time to reset. Pretty easy to set on most machines.
Bob

Collapse -
Worked, still the antivirus issue.
by FrozenRogue / September 12, 2012 7:03 AM PDT

That worked. Thank you!
My antivirus is still doing the same thing though. It says it needs to be updated, after clicking update it says its fine, a few seconds later the same needing to be updated message comes up. The antivirus is ESET:NOD32 Antivirus 5.

Again, not sure if you can help me out with this issue.

Thanks!

-Sebastian

Collapse -
When my antivirus gets in a loop like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 9:13 AM PDT

I've lost count of the old uninstall, install method to help it out of its funk.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.