Desktops forum

Question

Graphics card or Virus?

by freshcongaeel / April 6, 2012 11:32 AM PDT

Hi there,
I have had the blue screen off death suddenly rear it's ugly head recently. I simply clicked on a link in Firefox and my PC just blue screened and is now looking like this: (pics in link)
http://imgur.com/a/QjiqR

The start screen is looking like gibberish and in safe mode you can see the red squiggly lines. I can't start in normal mode. It just shuts-down. My question is should I first try to reinstall windows or do I purchase a new video card? Or is it a more issue. i.e Motherboard etc?

Any help would be must appreciated.
cheers
Josh

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics card or Virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics card or Virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd try another video card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 1:44 PM PDT

It's sad the current card is not known. Some like that 8400/8600 are well publicized.
Bob

Collapse -
Will upgrade card.
by freshcongaeel / April 6, 2012 3:14 PM PDT

Apologies. It's a nVidia 8800 gtx. It does reek of a malfunctioned card. I needed to upgrade anyway so will get a new one. And replace the OS to Windows 7 64 bit. Currently Vista 32bit. Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
2+ year old 8800's are dying out there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2012 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Will upgrade card.
Collapse -
thanks for the link
by freshcongaeel / April 7, 2012 12:25 PM PDT

New card here I come.

Collapse -
Answer
Swap out video cards
by Willy / April 7, 2012 1:48 AM PDT

Like to add, get another video card to help resolve this. Don't do any OS installs or swap OS, until you have the video problem resolved, otherwise, you'll be complicating it all.

If you have a decent PC case, be sure it's cooling well. Video cards are a enmorous source of heat and they are known to destruct due to poor manufacturing or comprised cooling, so pay attention to all this. Alas, a new video card should be well supported a great PSU as well for a good overall match. Heat always finds the weakest link in a PC, so cooling is important.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Good advice
by freshcongaeel / April 7, 2012 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Swap out video cards

I was going to do both at the same time. I'll get the new card in first. I understand all I have to do is remove the old card from the device manager. I'm looking at the nVidia GTX 560. I have the Dell XPS 420 case. I think the PSU is big enough. The 8800 is a long card so size shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks again
J

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.