Computer Help forum

Question

Graphics card not performing how it should

by superesse / November 20, 2014 7:52 AM PST

So basically, I bought a new graphics card and it was working amazingly, until my motherboard crashed, I ended up replacing the PSU, Motherboard and the Processor

I can't remember much about what it was like before but here's what I do know

Graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 ti

The processor I had in before was a 3.8 Ghz, and the current one is an AMD A4-6300 APU Radeon(TM) HD Graphics (2 CPUs) 3.7 Ghz, so I'm guessing they were pretty similar, as far as I know the motherboard I have in now wouldn't really effect my graphics card performance unless I'm wrong, but the motherboard is a Gigabyre F2A88XM-D3H Ultra Performance (taking that straight from the box, lol)

Now as for the power supply, originally there was a Turbolink ATX-TL500W-BK (500W, 12V) and I replaced it for a Coolmaster 500W power supply, I don't see how my graphics card would perform better with that 450W power supply, i'm completely out of the loop on this and I don't know what to do, Christmas is coming up and I can order some upgrades to fix this issue but I'd like to know why exactly my graphics card isn't performing like it was before, help me pleaseeee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics card not performing how it should
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics card not performing how it should
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ahh, an A4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2014 8:03 AM PST

Sorry but I don't think that's good enough to expect what you would or could expect from a 750.

You didn't give exact numbers for framerates in any game so all I can do is nod. Yup, that's pretty low end. I don't expect much from A4 powered machines.
Bob

Collapse -
What should I do
by superesse / November 20, 2014 4:30 PM PST
In reply to: Ahh, an A4

Well my mobo crashed and I had it replaced but I was on a budget.

I've dropped from like 60 FPS on BF4 to about 20 and I've had to lower my graphic settings on every game I play, so I'm guessing I should just replace it to improve performance?

Would it have anything to do with my 525W power supply? I'm unsure because I replaced my other one which was a 500 and it was probably what caused my mobo to die in the first place

Collapse -
Could you suggest something?
by superesse / November 20, 2014 4:35 PM PST
In reply to: Ahh, an A4

Could you suggest something to me?

I have about a $150-200 budget here for a new motherboard, I know stuff about PC hardware but nothing about the motherboard, how do I know if it's compatible, or if it'll fit my PSU? I'm lost lol

Collapse -
Just some ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2014 12:16 AM PST

Building your own is fun (at least for me) but I learned long ago to copy working systems then tinker from there.

An example game system for cheap is Tomshardware Red Devil (you can google that.) That article explains how to scale CPU and GPU as well. The A4 is ranked very low. You can compare it at CPUBOSS to what the Red Devil used.

As to the PSU I think there is no issue there but I'll part with the usual "get a single rail PSU" line.
Bob

Collapse -
need a new mobo
by superesse / November 21, 2014 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Just some ideas.
Collapse -
Why not just bump up the CPU?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2014 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: need a new mobo
Collapse -
Which one
by superesse / November 21, 2014 4:17 AM PST

Well with my 3.8 GHz and my old motherboard I was getting 70-80 FPS and now with my new motherboard and 3.7 GHz I'm only getting 20, wouldn't the motherboard be the problem with my graphics card performance?

Collapse -
Some call the CPU and motherboard the motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2014 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Which one

Sorry if I don't call the combination of the two the motherboard. The AMD A4 scores so poorly that from what I see it's quite the bottleneck. You can verify how poorly this CPU is by using CPUBOSS.
Bob

Collapse -
So basically..
by superesse / November 21, 2014 4:26 AM PST

Alright so basically, I need some help picking out a new mobo on the budget of $150, Amazon is having their black friday sale so there are some good deals there right now..

I have my AM3+ socket CPU sitting here in the box from when they took out the old motherboard out, the one that kicked the bucket, and obviously the CPU that's sitting in the AMD A4 motherboard, so if I were to get either of these..

http://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-SATA-6Gbps-Motherboards-GA-970A-DS3P/dp/B00CX4MUCC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416601149&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=GIGABYTE+GA-78LMT-S2+AM3%2B

http://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Chipset-2000MHz-Motherboards-GA-970A-D3P/dp/B00DJ3DWFK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416601478&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=GIGABYTE+GA-78LMT-S2+AM3%2B

would it work with my AM3+ processor, and would my 525W power supply be enough? Or can you suggest a motherboard that I can put my AM4 processor in

Collapse -
Compare your AM3+ CPU to this CPU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2014 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: So basically..
Collapse -
Since your were satisfied with the...
by Oldartq / November 21, 2014 1:11 AM PST

old system. Maybe give us some idea and tell what you had before why that was so much better.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?