HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

Question

Graphics card issues

by Mrmob11v2 / August 11, 2012 4:05 PM PDT

Well to start off I'm running a sapphire radeon hd 6770, and when i play any game that makes my gpu reach 65c my screen starts shaking a little.

I checked my fan speed on my gpu when its at 65c and it's only at 42%.

other people say that 65c is safe for a graphic card, so i don't know why i'm having this issue.

any help would be much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics card issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics card issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try setting the refresh to 60Hz?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2012 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Graphics card issues

And did you pull part on the resolution one notch?

I've seen such shakes in the past on CRT screens when speakers are too near and on both CRT/LCD when the video cable is not up to the task. Today I'll swap out the VGA display connection for HDMI for reasons you can find on google.
Bob

Collapse -
60mhz
by Mrmob11v2 / August 12, 2012 7:36 AM PDT

Yes my screen is on 60mhz, it's only when the card gets to around 65c it does this, and i'm on vga. I also had lag at this tempature.

Collapse -
The 6770 hasn't been out long.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2012 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: 60mhz

You should exchange it. Also I wonder if you tried the old gamers trick. Remove the case cover and point a fan at the open PC.
Bob

Collapse -
60 mhz.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2012 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: 60mhz

I wonder about that mhz. 60 Hz for the refresh rate is now common for LCD panels. The H is always a capital letter and the lower case m would mean milli. It doesn't really matter here but just in case you want to be sure, try to get the Hz part right.
Bob

Collapse -
hertz
by Mrmob11v2 / August 13, 2012 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: 60 mhz.

I don't know why I put MHz it's 60 Hz, and you recommend I swap my card? I've had it for about a year but never really played a game that got it that hot until now, (so it's still got a 1year manufacture warranty).

Also yes I tried it with my case side off and the problem still existed, anyway my case is very well cooled so that shouldn't be an issue.

Collapse -
That test is to find out
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2012 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: hertz

If parts have become heat sensitive. I don't want to upset folk but the test is only that, to sniff out if there is a chance that we can find something to fix the issue. That is, there are too many stories from the shop to share about this one. I'll keep is to one where the heatsink had lost one of the four retaining pins. The owner/builder didn't think it mattered and the result was a heatsink that was just hitting the one side of the component it was cooling. To make matters harder for everyone the owner was adamant it was not heat because of some temperature readout software.

The case cover off and fan was in that case showing it was heat related so we checked all the parts again, found the missing retainer and pin then applied a little compound and buttoned it down. Kind of a shame to see the bill for 200 all because they thought the last retainer/pin was optional.

Anyhow, the lesson repeats too often. Don't trust those temperature software readings and get very familiar with those heatsinks and how they are held in place.

ALL THIS was to explain why we do that test. If it gives you an idea then good. But ONE last idea is to check for video card driver updates from the card maker and then swap out that card.

AND if you can connect with HDMI, that helps remove an issue with VGA.

Bob

Collapse -
HDMI
by Mrmob11v2 / August 18, 2012 1:23 PM PDT

I did test my graphics card with HDMI and the messed up screen at 65 deg did not happen, so it was just a VGA problem and can you explain this?

Collapse -
HDMI versus VGA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2012 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI
Collapse -
Why not?
by Mrmob11v2 / August 20, 2012 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI versus VGA.

Because my monitor is vga only, I tested the HDMI on my tv.

Collapse -
Then...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2012 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Why not?

You recheck your refresh and other rates. You also think over if the VGA cable is the good one that came with the monitor as well as swapping ends.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.