Computer Help forum

General discussion

Graphics card issues

My Geforce 9600 GT died on me afew weeks ago mid game , the usual blue screen bla bla bla !

After numerous attempts to reboot the computer no success was achieved , so I plugged in my previuos graphics card ( which I'm still using now .. geforce 7300)and successful boot was achieved immediately.

I sent my 9600GT back to place of purchase as it was only 8 months old , it was eventually returned to me and the company said they tested it and found no fault.After re-installing this card in my PC I found that it still didnt work , monitor reported "no signal" at power on.I have reset bios , reformatted and installed windows ,swapped the memory modules ,removed or replaced other hardware to ensure no hardware conflicts etc etc , but to no avail.

Now I'm presuming this card is indeed dead and that the company who sold me the card have made a mistake , or they're fobbing me off !

Although we have multiple PC's here at home this is the only one with a PCIE slot , therefore I have no surefire way of knowing if the graphics card is indeed dead , although Im going to ask a friend to test it for me.

The reason for my post here is to ask these 2 questions :

1.Is there a known issue (even though I ran this card with no problems for 8 months) , with my pc specs ?? (specs at end of message)

2.Is there a program that can actually test the integrity of my motherboard for failing or problematic slots , in this case the PCIE slot ?

Im not going to list operating system specifics other than to say its fully updated win XP (32 bit) , because my monitor is reporting "no signal" at power on , which is before any drivers are loaded.

PC specs are :

Motherboard : MSI K9N Diamond , latest bios
Sound card : onboard audigy disabled , using Creative XFI fatality champion
HDD: Deskstar SATA 160GB (boot drive),Deskstar 120 IDE
DVD Rom : Pioneer DVDR 112d (firmware updated)
RAM: 2 x 1gb corsair 800 mhz (tested ok with memtest)
CPU: AMD dual core 4000+ (no overclocking)

The graphics card in question is a Xpert Vision 9600 GT 512mb.

I apologise for the length of this post , and look forward to any help offered.

Many many thanks in advance Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics card issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics card issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.

In reply to: Graphics card issues

A recent merry go round with some customer on all too similar a failure.

Card worked fine in other machines. (just not theirs.)
Lower wattage cards work fine in their machine.
They could not accept it was a power issue.

We had to return the whole thing to them since they could not accept it was a power issue. Now we wait.
Bob

Collapse -
Just sharing reply

In reply to: Just sharing.

First, many thanks for the reply Happy

I can understand your frustration with this similar/if not same issue , however I would like to point out that my graphics card worked seamlessly for a full 8 months , with all the extra USB addons sucking up power EG: gamepad , steering wheel , usb card reader etc etc.

My recent re-testing of this graphics card was done with everything unplugged that wasn't necessary.All i had plugged in and powered up was the graphics , soundcard ,DVD drive and one of my two installed hard drives , the SATA one.This was to ensure that no un-necessary power was being sucked from the PSU.

If all people who complain to the suppliers about their hardware could make the effort to eliminate certain scenarios , then I'm sure your job would be a whole lot easier.
Best of luck with it matey , and thanks again for your reply Happy

Collapse -

In reply to: Just sharing reply

This could still be a fault with my PSU ... thats the next thing to check if my friend can test the card with success . In which case I am prepared to eat humble pie !

Collapse -
A new PSU and 8 months later.

In reply to: Just sharing reply

It may not be able to deliver the same power. This is an area that many need an education on but when they are at a service counter they do not want to hear it. They want you to admit the card is bad or better yet that the card damaged the PC and you will take care of it for free.

Well this does happen a lot and since I'm able to share such freely I do.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.