PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Graphics Card Issues

by michaeljjt / June 4, 2008 7:48 AM PDT

Running a Pentium 4, AsusP4P800 MB with 1 GB RAM 500 Watt PS.

Was using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro for the last 3-4 years with no problems, when suddenly graphic corruption started to hit me when I played games. ATI said the card was fried, time for a new one.

Upgraded to an ATI/Powercolor 3650 (AGP)...Having issues with this card from the get-go, and I just need help diagnosing if the problem is now the card, or some other issue.

Took the drivers out from the old card, took the old card out, put the new card in. Now my issue is: The system just wont boot up with the new card in. I tried to re-seat the card. Did not make a difference. Either the system does not start up at all (no beeps)(fans and HD are spinning, power is running), or the system hits POST then hangs, or occasionally it gets to the Windows logo/loading screen and then hangs. The computer either just freezes up where it is, or reboots back to startup. I made it into Windows one time, and 5 minutes later it froze up and attempted to reboot.

Just need help diagnosing if it is the card, or something else, please.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Card Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Card Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
already is
by michaeljjt / June 4, 2008 10:35 AM PDT

Thanks,

But it already is connected to the power supply, as was my previous card....

Collapse -
ignore me if this is too obvious
by squirtlewa / June 4, 2008 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: already is

so I'm thinking the thing to do is take out the video card that's expected of being the problem.

See if you can run on the on-board video and/or the old card.
If no problems, then you've answered the question.
If problems still occur then . . .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.