HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Graphics card issues!

by bernieyoke / May 13, 2006 12:44 PM PDT

I just upgraded my graphics card from an old NVidia GeForce4 Ti 4400 128MB, to an ATI Radeon 9550 256 MB, and I'm totally confused (system is an Athlon XP 2100+ with a Gig of RAM by the way). I was running some framerate tests on Counterstrike Source, and they are shockingly MUCH lower with the new card. On one test, the old framerate was 61.42, and with the new card 37.55. In another test with slightly higher settings, the old card 53.51 and the new card 29.93! Now I know the 9550 isn't a monster of a card, but it should still be faster than that old GeForce4 (probably a 4 year old card). At the VERY LEAST it shouldn't be drastically slower. Any answers/opinions/suggestions?!?!?!?

Thanks,

- Joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics card issues!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics card issues!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When benchmarking, the settings must be identical.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Graphics card issues!

ANY change will toss the results into question.

There could be other factors such as outdated motherboard/other drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
graphics card help
by bernieyoke / May 14, 2006 12:11 AM PDT

The settings were identical. The mobo drivers are outdated (I am about to update them), but wouldn't that have affected the old card as well?

- Joe

Collapse -
a geforce ti-4400 is faster than a radeon 9550
by ramarc / May 14, 2006 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Graphics card issues!

a geforce ti-4200 is comparable to radeon 9600pro. a geforce ti-4400 is a bit faster. a radeon 9550 is a cut-back radeon 9600 so it will be noticeably slower than a ti-4400.

here are benchmarks which include the geforce ti-4200/4400 and radeon 9500/9600. you can interpolate to estimate the performance of the ti-4400 and 9550.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/04/vga_charts_iv/page7.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.