General discussion

Graphics card issue, 9800gx2

I have a BFG 9800GX2 graphics card that has been giving me some issues lately. For some time I would turn my computer on and I would have a pattern of dots across my screen for a few seconds. I would get to the password page and everything was good until I signed on. There would be black boxes patterned over my screen, the screen would flicker, and go back in forth from that screen to a blank screen only saying "No Signal". After awhile of this crap and no sign of it working itself out I decided I'd rely on my laptop (there is no way to use the computer with all of this happening). It's been some time and today I turned my desktop on and same problem still persists. I tried starting it in safe mode and it worked fine. I don't have an on-board graphics card so if something is wrong with my card, some aspect of it is still working since I have been able to boot in safe mode. I was able to boot it in normal mode as of a few minutes ago (first times its let me do that) but the graphics displayed is that of a dinosaur card from the 90's. I went into my device manager and my card shows up but there are yellow triangles over them (shows two cards since the gx2 is two 9800 chips). The description says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" I tried 'check for solutions' and nothing. I've scanned my computer with several anti-virus and have ruled out as that being any cause of it. At this time I'm about to reformat my drive and just see if a clean start will do the trick. Any suggestions before I do this?

Without listing the specs of my computer, I can tell you this computer worked for over 6 months with no problem. PSU is putting out more then enough, 6gigs ram, windows vista, card is up to date, ect.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Graphics card issue, 9800gx2
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Graphics card issue, 9800gx2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

By the way, I'm not able to change the resolution of my screen ect. It's stuck at 800 x 600 on a 22 inch monitor haha. Even though the card is picked up in my device manager it isn't being picked up in my display settings when I click on advanced settings. Also, I went into my "Problem Reports and Solution" and when this problem was submitted to windows the problem says "NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 could not load drive software".

- Collapse -
I had a 22 inch monitor from LG a year ago that

went berserk just like your problem did. There's no fix for it. Had to put it to the road for garbage pick-up, a few months ago. After installing SP1 onto Vista and, way more updates/upgrades, both the video/graphics card and the O.S. could not control the 'Power Saving Mode' kicking in all the time.

Got myself a 24" Calypso monitor instead. Works like a charm as of this day. Says 'Compatible with Windows 7' on its packaging box. It sure is.

As of your card not being able to accept the newest driver for it: make sure the driver file is meant for Vista, not Win. 7.

Good Luck, Buddy! Wink

CNET Forums

Forum Info