PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Graphics Card Issue

by horizon981 / September 10, 2006 5:17 PM PDT

First off, im a complete rookie to graphics card, so pardon if something is not clear.
My system is Intel PIV(3.06 GHZ) 1024 MB RAM and Intel 865G graphics chipset with 96 MB RAM. These are a few issues with this card:
When I installed Prince of Persia warrior within, it said my card didn't support Pixel Shader 1.1, I still ran it and things were fine. From time to time, I have seen games complaining. Besides, I don't think 96 MB is considered good for a hobbyist gamer. (I may be wrong though.)

What is the status of this card in today's world?

It has an AGI 8X slot. Most games list their requirements in terms of Nvidia this or that or ATI Radeon this or that.
Can I fix a non-Intel card in that AGI slot? (Of course I'll get a professional to install it.)

Recently Titan Quest has refused to run my system, and it really boils my blood..

What is the best solution for my problems? I want an AGP card that is not too highly priced and has a good value for money.

By the way, I remember having read somewhere that it is possible to disable this Intel on-board card. Can it be done?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Plz help me out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Card Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Card Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
some info
by linkit / September 10, 2006 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Graphics Card Issue

The Intel 865G is a motherboard chipset, with the ''G'' signifying that it has built-in (integrated) video circuitry. That is not a dedicated video card.

What is your computer manufacturer and model name? If a home build, what is the motherboard model name? Download and run CPU-Z to confirm your motherboard (system board) model number.

Look at the back of your computer and tell us about your power supply unit (PSU). What is its maximum Wattage rating? What is the manufacturer and model number?

You will want to have have a video card with an ATI or nVidia graphics processing unit (GPU).

Disabling the integrated video is one step in the process of installing the new dedicated video card.

Just about any dedicated video card will improve your system's performance. The better gaming video cards are little more expensive and usually start at about USD$100.

Collapse -
Here's some specs
by horizon981 / September 10, 2006 9:16 PM PDT
In reply to: some info

Ok, as per CPU-Z,
Model : P4i65GV
Chipset: i865P/PE/G/i848P (whatever that means)

It's a home build.

Power Supply:
Quantum Hi-Tech.
Model No. PIV-300T

It doesn't list any wattage, but gives a chart of volatge and current outputs. Does that help?
And oh, I have two hard drives.

By the way, aren't consoles a better solution to the ever increasing "upgrade" demand of computers?

Collapse -
video card suggestion
by ramarc / September 12, 2006 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's some specs

here's a decent agp card for your system:
7600gs, agp, 256mb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127219

it will need a larger power supply:
antec 450w ps
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-Power-Supply-SP450/sem/rpsm/oid/143267/catOid/-13011/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

as for consoles vs. "upgrade" demand of pcs... if you get a pc intended for gaming, it will serve you well for a couple of years. integrated graphics have never really been suitable for gaming so a pc like yours needed an "upgrade" for gaming when it was new.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!